Sim prep for potential Flex interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mr.doylehargraveves,
So whats wrong with the input ! Suck anothere BEER for me while your @ !! Hopefully its AMERICAN brand and not and import!!!!

Yeah all of a sudden I feel like I am on the regional board. Where everyone wants to pay 2k for the chance to make 15k. Make sure your scan is sharp and your IFR skills are well developed but don't go crazy with sim prep. They know you have not flown the airplane. They are looking for CRM and basic IFR skills.

I can't believe we are discussing a sim prep for flexjet. If you need the prep, sorry, you shouldn't be applying in my opinion.

I guess you would prefer having guys coming to the interview unprepared and act surprised when they find out they actually have to perform well to get the job :smash:.

If performing well at the interview is not the key to getting the job I wouldn't want to be at that company anyway, no matter what company it may be.

FZ

I wouldn't worry about sim prep.
I think if you have MS flight simulator, then that would be sufficient. You will do fine as long as you don't crash the sim.

I have to agree with those who veto spending cash on sim time.
You most likely will get one of the Lears, so take this with a grain of salt.
1) When you take off the first time, at 400 agl, pull back the throttle 3 clicks and a smidge. You will NOT stall the thing, if anything, you will be close to overspeeding. Then place your feet on the floor and just fly the plane. TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!
2) For the V1 cut, be prepaired to put the rudder to the floor, don't rush, stay on the ground until you have good directional control, at rotation call out or thereabouts, rotate and climb. Did I mention DON'T RUSH??
At rotate, if you do not have good directional control, don't rotate. Stay on the ground until you do. Then, about 7 degrees (easier than you think) will get you a nice controlled rate of climb,

For the interview, dress nice and be yourself. Ask a billion questions. Make sure this is the correct life for you, be Flex, Net or Flops. Not for everybody, and you being miserable is only going to make me be miserable. Don't want that, do we?
If you decide, welcome aboard! I know people at all the fracs, and by and large, they are great people to spend your time with. Of course, I think Flex is the better, but I do have a reason! :)

Hung

Thanks Hung

Very constructive response that will hopefully help others too.

I just found out today that Flex called some people yesterday so it looks like I was passed up this time. Guess I will be heading back to Africa again to do some freelancing for some fresh dough. Tired of sitting on my couch reading FI for the last couple of months..

FZ

Its not over there is a good chance they will still call you. Far as doing a sim,if you really feel like it then go practice but all they want to do is see you are trainable. So if you can scan and keep the plane flying you will do fine.

I would also say to save your money. Sim ride is not that big of deal. Just don't crash the thing. Keep it real slow. Below 200 kias the whole time. In my opinion the personal interview carries more weight.

Thanks Hung

Very constructive response that will hopefully help others too.

I just found out today that Flex called some people yesterday so it looks like I was passed up this time. Guess I will be heading back to Africa again to do some freelancing for some fresh dough. Tired of sitting on my couch reading FI for the last couple of months..

FZ

Just courious. What kind of flight time did you have and back ground?

Been a tough way to where I am at..

Just courious. What kind of flight time did you have and back ground?

My TT is 4800+, mostly ME pic. Some 1800 hrs turbine, around 900 of that is PIC.
I got out of flight school and returned to Europe (yes I am European so go ahead and bash ;)) to get my European licenses. Things were going south hiring wise just as I was done and the 1500/500 I was told to get were now pretty much useless if not paying for a type myself, which I by principle refuse to do. I ended doing ground work for a regional for two years while sending out applications.

Gave up on getting a job back home, took my stuff and moved to the Caribbean one week before 911. After being d!cked around for ten months by the company, and after a couple of trips back and forth to Europe, I finally landed the job flying twin pistons. Far from a great company but at least I got to fly in times where furloughed jet captains were trying to get my job and fly my piston twin. I eventually got into the RHS seat in a turbine machine for the same company, and a bit later got to see the LHS.

Left that job after some four years to fly for an European company operating in Africa, which I still do on a free lance contract. That involves spending up to six weeks of living in a container in the middle of Sahara. Money is good but I have learned it's not all in this world.

Let's put it this way, so far this career has not lived up to my expectations. I know I'm for sure not the only one feeling that way. I am still waiting for my lucky break I know I deserve, and will not give up. Flying is what I know..

Maybe a bit more than you asked for, but now you know :laugh:.

I did have someone walk in my application a few weeks ago.

Btw, I have been loading bags from day one as commercial pilot so I have that down pretty good.. :)

Good luck to all of you guys out there trying to move to better things. Remember, you are not alone fighting for your dream..

FZ

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back