• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sim prep for potential Flex interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Btw, what can I expect to pay for ah hour in a Frasca?

FZ

Again; use your computer, MS flight sim, and a cheap yoke:)

When I interviewed there I was out of my six months on instrument currency. I hadn't been in a cloud in over six months let alone an approach.
After about four hours of computer flying I was over prepped and did fine.

You will be fine to spend that money you saved on beer:)

You will be fine man!

Last edited:
I came from steam gages in a turboprop. No EFIS, no FMS, no jet. We flew the 45. I didn't think I did as well as my partner, but I got hired and he didn't. Like others have said, show that you have good CRM skills. Brief, brief, brief, and solicit input from your partner. I agree with others that the sim isn't weighted nearly as heavily as the other aspects. In my opinion the first 10 minutes of the company presentation is the most important, where they meet you for the first time and judge your appearance and personality. Btw, if you get the 45, the steering is very sensitive - the steering, not the rudder as I read another post. It is hard the first time to keep the ac on the runway during the V1 cut. Have your seat and or pedals adjusted so you can get the maximum amount of pressure on that rudder. Remember to use plenty of aileron once you're airborne.

Remember, the sim eval is just a small part of the whole interview. And the person evaluating you only has a few words with the people making the decision. Flying great won't carry you through if you haven't convinced the interviewers you're the right person.

Last edited:
Preparing for interview

Well guys, did the phone interview with Pam (very nice lady) this morning and was invited for the face to face in a couple of weeks.

I appreciate all the good inputs from you guys, and if you have any further useful info please feel free to add..

FZ

Remember to use plenty of aileron once you're airborne.

Riiight.... that's how you handle a v1 cut...plenty of aileron...

In the mean time the IP is yelling at you to keep the ball in the center.

Not trying to be a smart a$$. If you get the 45 sim use your feet to keep the airplane under control. Adjust your seat so that when you have full rudder deflection you have a SLIGHT bend in the knee. Once you reach the stops, the force sensors in the rudder pedal kick in the rudder boost system. If your leg is locked out at max extension, you won't have that extra pressure to turn on the RB. Incidentally, the rudder boost doesn't give you MORE rudder, it just gives you MAX available rudder. Good luck with the interview. I also forgot, if you do use the autopilot, don't relax the rudder. The Yaw damper is not strong enough to keep the ball in the center...that's what your foot and rudder trim are for.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to make it sound like rudder is unimportant. I just kind of assumed that if you're applying for this job you know how to keep that thing mashed to the floor during a V1 cut. Soooo sorry I didn't clarify that for the 50 hour multiengine pilots applying for this job. What I'm emphasizing is that the rudder on the 45 is not as effective as it is on some aircraft, even with the RB, and using some aileron will help with that heading control.

Flyzimex, don't let FraxJockey fool you. Most of us don't cut each other down. We're really a great group of guys (and gals).

Last edited:
Not cutting anybody down, just giving helpful advice...that is what the man asked for.

Solafide said "Use plenty of aileron"...well if you deflect the yoke more than 5 degrees the roll spoilers kick in and that makes the maneuver even more difficult.

Just some some helpful advice from someone who has gone through recurrent at least a dozen times...

Also Wankel has a good point about the MS Flight sim. It may not be exact, but a real close model. But don't forget, you may get to do the eval in a Lear 31A,45,60 or CL300/604. Chances are that you will do it in the 31A sim since that is most readily available. The 31 has much better rudder effectiveness.

Last edited:
Okay, I'll concede that my "plenty of aileron" wording was a little misleading. How does 2 to 3 degrees of bank sound? But FraxJockey, please leave out the belittling sarcasm next time. It doesn't become us.

Like others have said, show that you have good CRM skills. Brief, brief, brief, and solicit input from your partner. I agree with others that the sim isn't weighted nearly as heavily as the other aspects.

Flying great won't carry you through if you haven't convinced the interviewers you're the right person.

Here we can agree. The basic goal of the sim eval is to see if you are trainable. It is hard enough to train someone in new equipment if you have to teach them how to fly. I hear we are getting swamped with applicants and as such we are getting more selective. The sim eval isn't a deal breaker, but if a choice has to be made between who to offer the job, it could be the deciding factor. Good luck.

Solafide, I'll remember to leave the sarcasm out next time.

Last edited:
Here we can agree. The basic goal of the sim eval is to see if you are trainable. It is hard enough to train someone in new equipment if you have to teach them how to fly. I hear we are getting swamped with applicants and as such we are getting more selective. The sim eval isn't a deal breaker, but if a choice has to be made between who to offer the job, it could be the deciding factor. Good luck.

Solafide, I'll remember to leave the sarcasm out next time.

No hard feelings, FraxJockey. Hope to see you out there. And Flyzimex, just be yourself. I think this is a great place to work. I echo FraxJockey: Good luck.

Okay, I'll concede that my "plenty of aileron" wording was a little misleading. How does 2 to 3 degrees of bank sound? But FraxJockey, please leave out the belittling sarcasm next time. It doesn't become us.
Use the roll disconnect lever. That works the best.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back