• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Silly question about Ground Zero

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with BD King. With allergies, as you know, there are many things that can set you off without knowing it. Perhaps it was asbestos that was maybe in the buildings. Not sure if they used it, but it was built in the early 70's, so there may be a chance. The combination of that, the Jet A and anything else that burned probably did it.

I have allergy induced asthma. When I went to the Mayo Clinic about four years ago to be tested (we did not know what kept making me sick - had no idea I had the asthma), they did the test where they fill your back with all those holes and pour things in them. I had such a huge case of hives that they would not let me leave the hospital. I was allergic to things that do not even grow in Arizona.

Kathy

I don't know how often you walk around big cities.. but.. that is quite a hike you took. From my walks around Manhattan, including ground zero, I remember that it can be a very dirty place... perhaps you just picked up something? Touched your face/eyes inadvertently, after touching something nasty (public transit system comes to mind)... you know, the things that big-city people probably are immune to.. just a thought.

This thread makes me feel itchy-

Mar,

I had hives like that once too, I got them because I used a "natural" based lotion to my face, arms and neck because I had some really dry skin. I had hives for about two weeks after that, but only on the places I put the lotion. I wonder why you only got them from the neck down to your legs. Usually the face swells and you also get hives on the face, as well as the rest of your body, if it's from something you ate.

I've had alergic reactions happen as a result of commulitive exposures to things that by themselves would't necessisarily get a reaction. I'm wondering if your clothing wasn't the cause of this one since your face didn't get the hives. Because you were sweating and it was humid for a long period of time, maybe it was a one time reaction to soap reisidue left in your clothes. I've gotten hives from using too much soap in the washer before, and it was the same laundry detergent I used as a child till today. The hives from that only happened once, and were gone in three days.

I think hives are somewhat fickle, and I've never heard of the WTC bathtub causing them.

in all seriousness, what about your laundry detergent? was a different one used on the clothes that you wore at ground zero? i know that my ex-g/f could only use 1 kind of detergent b/c the others would make her break out. another ex could only use deodorant, not deodorant/anti-perspirant b/c she would break out. the body is funny like that.

NookyBooky said:

Yes, that certainly is STRANGE, but STRANGER things have happened..Ha, Ha.. The moderators should get this reference.

Modern Living

Thanks to everyone for the responses and not tearing me to shreds.

I thought it was sort of nutty but you never know.

Definitely *not* birth control pills. But thanks for asking.

Latest resources

Back