• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mar

Remember this one?
Alright guys, take it easy on me.

Here's the deal: A couple of weeks ago I visited Ground Zero for the first time. It was hot and humid but I walked from Penn Station to Ground Zero. Then I walked around Wall Street. Then I walked through Greenwich Village and back to Penn Station and I kept walking to Central Park...and then back to Penn Station.

I drank a lot of water, got some serious blisters and then the very next day I got the *worst* outbreak of hives I've ever experienced in my life (from my neck to my legs)!

My first thought was that I developed a heat rash, but long story short (too late, I know) the hives were so bad that I didn't sleep for two nights and I actually called in sick because there was no way I was in any shape to serve as a crewmember.

I visited a doctor for the "heat rash" and he said, No, that's allergies and prescribed prednisone for the inflammation.

I told him that I've had allergies my entire life but I've NEVER reacted like this before.

Well the hives lasted a total of nine days and last night I get a phone call from my parents who told me they heard that some people who visit Ground Zero have broken out in hives and have had similiar physical reactions to the site.

Is that the nuttiest thing you've ever heard?

Or not.

I'm at a total loss as to the cause of the hives. I ate nothing unusual and didn't wash my clothes in any new detergent.

Can't figure it out but I don't want to repeat that experience.

It means that you're allergic to Jet Fuel, the only way you're going to survive is to go back to flying recips for hte rest of your career

mar said:
Alright guys, take it easy on me.

Here's the deal: A couple of weeks ago I visited Ground Zero for the first time. It was hot and humid but I walked from Penn Station to Ground Zero. Then I walked around Wall Street. Then I walked through Greenwich Village and back to Penn Station and I kept walking to Central Park...and then back to Penn Station.

I drank a lot of water, got some serious blisters and then the very next day I got the *worst* outbreak of hives I've ever experienced in my life (from my neck to my legs)!

My first thought was that I developed a heat rash, but long story short (too late, I know) the hives were so bad that I didn't sleep for two nights and I actually called in sick because there was no way I was in any shape to serve as a crewmember.

I visited a doctor for the "heat rash" and he said, No, that's allergies and prescribed prednisone for the inflammation.

I told him that I've had allergies my entire life but I've NEVER reacted like this before.

Well the hives lasted a total of nine days and last night I get a phone call from my parents who told me they heard that some people who visit Ground Zero have broken out in hives and have had similiar physical reactions to the site.

Is that the nuttiest thing you've ever heard?

Or not.

I'm at a total loss as to the cause of the hives. I ate nothing unusual and didn't wash my clothes in any new detergent.

Can't figure it out but I don't want to repeat that experience.

No, no, no, Mar, you got it all wrong. It was that girl in Hong Kong!!!! Either that or the toilet seat in the plane.........

I had hives once. You feel like your skin is trying to jump off of you and it is itchy and as painful as hell. Mine was from shrimp. I had eaten too many, as I can eat a few without a reaction but after a certain amount I become a blowfish.

Heat and mental stress can aggravate it.

You can be not allergic to anything and then the next year be very allergic to stuff, that is how the immune system works.

I bet it was something you ate, they bury all sorts of stuff in food these days. Could also be an insect but that usually starts very localized.

I didn't wait 2 days, I went right to the hospital (if your breathing pipes swell, you can die suddenly) and they gave me IV cortisone and IV benadryl. Better by night although drugged beyond belief.

Be careful what you eat before you climb into the cockpit!

GravityHater said:
I had hives once. You feel like your skin is trying to jump off of you and it is itchy and as painful as hell. Mine was from shrimp. I had eaten too many, as I can eat a few without a reaction but after a certain amount I become a blowfish.

"....always in moderation"

-mini

Maybe it is not as strange as it seems. Take all of that Jet A burning all types of materials, plastics, whatever, and there has to be some very toxic chemical reactions, and the residue still has to be around. But then again maybe its a subliminal desire to hear those R 2800's run again.

www.bdkingpress.com

I never had a problem down around ground zero...I have been to the AMEX bldg across the street several times....must have been something you ate

Latest resources

Back