• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sigh, What should I do with this guy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Did you go over his x/c planning with him and approve his route? Was the restricted area in his planned route? If not, was he lost? If it was in his route, did you instruct him how to find out if it's hot or not? I personally wouldn't send a student onn a x/c near a restricted area just because of this case in point. Maybe you should look at other x/c routes for future students--you can't hold their hands and make decisions for them when they are solo. (You should make decisions for them anyway--that's the hardest thing to teach.)

why didn't he get VFR flight following? whenever i do solo stuff (still not a Private Pilot yet) i ALWAYS get VFR flight following. they'll help with that kind of stuff. my instructor said he'd kill me if he ever found out that i did a solo X-C w/out flight following. they helped me avoid an MOA (dunno why) and have warned me that the restricted areas were hot. i didn't need them to, but they even gave me headings to fly to avoid them. if i was you, i'd have him start getting VFR flight following whenever possible.

When I was an CFI, 2 of our instructors were busted by the FAA for mistakes the student made on cross countries. :( FAA said the student were at fault but also the instructors for inadequate instruction. One of them got an 'informal' meeting and one had to go back up and fly with the feds. Neither had filed NASA forms.

moxiepilot said:
boy, you don't give them there spartan kids a break, do ya?
------

well.....was it oklahoma?

this has happened numerous <sp> times with some of the international students. some of them are ok

Well for starters this kid can fly a airplane better than most 400 hour pilots. His grandfather and dad are pilots, he lives in a fly in community etc etc etc. So hes been around a little, enough to turn off the transponder and not enough to get lost. We spent a good couple hours going over decision making, how do prevent the accident in the future etc. If the FAA wants to hang me then go for it, I've done all the remedial to make sure this never happens again. Furthermore I'm going to take him on a cross country to another restricted.

Latest resources

Back