Sigh, What should I do with this guy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hotwings402

I had a student get slightly lost and busted a restricted by a few miles may 9 or so. He relized it when he saw a huge military plane coming at him with everything hanging out. He turned of the transponder and ducked down to a couple hundred feet.

First off, ASRS for him and I? Or just me?
Secondly what may come of this FAA wise? He never called any one up on approach or anything and he was going from a uncontrolled airport to another uncontrolled airport, where he was in the state where he turned off the transponder would not likely show up as a primary.
Thirdly, at a minimum what remedial training should I give him?
I was thinking just hammering some or cross country. Maybe even putting him under the hood, getting him lost and having him find his way out of it. Any judgement exercises I can put him through, slight lack of judgement to dive down "below radar". Hes a good stick, just got a little lost.

hotwings402 said:
I had a student get slightly lost and busted a restricted by a few miles may 9 or so.

Was the date May 9th or the miles "maybe 9"?

hotwings402 said:
He turned of the transponder and ducked down to a couple hundred feet.

What were the dimensions of the restricted area?

And why did he turn off his transponder?

hotwings402 said:
Thirdly, at a minimum what remedial training should I give him?

Speak with him about available resources to find out if a restricted area is "hot"? Bring out sectionals from different parts of the country (where he is not familiar) and have him chart a cross-country - make sure it is through a restricted area (okay to use out-dated charts for somewhere else when planning on paper). Make sure he knows whom to contact to find out the status.

Make sure he knows about transponders, just turning it off after having been spotted will not save him, he will still be tracked. Make sure he understands this.

Did he monitor 121.5 or was he already talking with someone on frequency?

Good luck with him, it may have just been a situation where he was "unsure of his current location". Best of luck to him. Just make sure he learns from this and moves forward. Do not let it become a stumbling block. You seem to care about his learning, keep moving forward.

He was a on a long solo cross country. The restricted was probably 80 miles long and 20 miles wide. He was just going a short distance to his next airport so he was'nt taking to anyone. He turned of the transponder and ducked down because he did'nt want to get caught. I explained to him that that probably was'nt the smartest thing. A) if you are in a restricted at least let somebody see you. B) Don't fly low.

I know of at least three people out of my flight school who were flying cross-countries (actually hour building so they were private pilots) who have had F16s (or similar) pass very close. They monitored 121.5 (in the cases where they were not talking to anyone) and did not hear a thing.

Is your student sure he went into the restricted area while it was hot? I do not want to downplay this, but perhaps the other guys were "just flying around"?

How long ago did this happen? It is okay not to talk to anyone on cross-countries (if airspace allows) yet make sure your student knows who to contact in the future. Perhaps have him do a cross country and get flight following.

Have a ground session with your student, and LOG IT in his log book. Go over airspace, restricted areas, ATC communciations, cross-country flight planning, lost procedures, safety of flight, intercept procedures.

For future training, you may even go up with him and have him call the "Center" to find out if a restricted area is hot, and have him pick up flight following, and then ask the controllers about the restricted areas along the route.

was he chineeeeeeese flying saay in the state of oklahoma?

This guy was sharp (sort of) he turned the darn transponder off and hit the deck and got the heck out of Dodge. And he was a student! How many students would have the situational awareness to do that? Really? Did they get the N numbers?

www.bdkingpress.com

Latest resources

Back