Side stick vs. traditional yoke

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Stick. But only for the convenience.

I am starting to get real sick of the video game especially during rotation I hate it. I would trade away the convenience of the stick for the artificial feel of a yoke with a trim on it. But yeah, ideally a stick with a real feel and a direct relationship rather than the different flight modes and laws, with some protections.

I still like the bus but not nearly as much as I used to when I first got on it. They really need to start to re engineer the pilot back into it. The over automation can screw you so many ways that you almost have to watch it more. The learning curve to fully understand everything is steep and they type you with very little knowledge. On top of it all much of your "old knowledge" simply does not transfer over.

I'm brand new to the Boeing, came off the Bus. I gotta say I miss the room of the Airbus so for that reason alone, I say stick. However, other than climbing in and out of the flight deck, I'm having a ball flying the Boeing. In defense of the Airbus thought. After a few years on it, you really do get use to all its traits and habits and it actually becomes real comfortable to fly..

After 5 years I am convinced that the Airbus is far more conventional than unconventional. There is widespread misunderstanding of the Airbus fly by wire. The Airbus vs Boeinig rivalry that is argued ad nauseum by the airliners.net crowd, and the like just spreads dis-information.

Yoke or stick? It really doesn't matter. Put a pilot in a new type, any type and he eventually becomes comfortable with it.

I'll add to my post from yesterday that the sidestick does come with a roomy flight deck, but really I have to agree with those who brought up pay rather than stick versus yoke.

Also in the bus, whether you are hand flying or on auto pilot, there are many who explain away their lack of skill by saying "you can't really hand fly an Airbus" or "What's it doing now?!?"

Airbus or Boeing... complacency => bad results

Last edited:
I'll add to my post from yesterday that the sidestick does come with a roomy flight deck, but really I have to agree with those who brought up pay rather than stick versus yoke.

Also in the bus, whether you are hand flying or on auto pilot, there are many who explain away their lack of skill by saying "you can't really hand fly an Airbus" or "What's it doing now?!?"

Airbus or Boeing... complacency => bad results

What he said.

Hand flying a bus is easy. Put the nose where you want it and let go! Letting go is the ah-ha moment in every bus drivers learning curve.

My initial instructor saw me "stirring the pot" and offered this pearl of wisdom:

The Airbus sidestick is like a dog turd on a white carpet. You know you have to get rid of it, but you don't really want to touch it.

OTOH, Airbus crosswind landings are a newly acquired skill, especially if you have thousands of hours in conventional planes.

Latest resources

Back