• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Side stick vs. traditional yoke

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I did like the side stick, but prefer the yoke only because I don't like the fact that airbus never put in any kind of artificial feel into the stick. I also agree that I am not a fan of "Auto-Thrust". I think that having auto-throttles does provide better situational awareness in that you see where the throttles are at in relation to your power setting, versus setting the thrust and having to look at the eicas to see where they are at, and if you disconnect the levers, the power go's to where the levers are at if you forgot to set the levers to the target power mark first.

I prefer the sidestick, and I consider myself a meat and potatoes Boeing man. It's odd, I think the Airbus is a gay airplane, yet I don't want to bid back to the Boeing either. I am thankful I got to light off some JT-8Ds and listen to them make music though.

In today's world as hard as we work, I have to go with the bus and the side stick.

I did like the side stick, but prefer the yoke only because I don't like the fact that airbus never put in any kind of artificial feel into the stick. I also agree that I am not a fan of "Auto-Thrust". I think that having auto-throttles does provide better situational awareness in that you see where the throttles are at in relation to your power setting, versus setting the thrust and having to look at the eicas to see where they are at, and if you disconnect the levers, the power go's to where the levers are at if you forgot to set the levers to the target power mark first.

My last, best and final offer at the negotiating table of preferred control input would trade tactile stick feedback for moving autothrottles - which I have in the 7X. Dassault's major F-up was to leave the FD/AP system without any way to make a idle-thrust speed descent. The CLIMB mode will command a climb thrust speed climb, but the only way to go down is to use path or vertical speed. Due this, I am constantly looking at the position of the throttles to see whether I can get a better rate in the descent or whether I'm going to bust my speed. Without moving autothrottles it would be a lot more difficult to make a max performance descent.

Latest resources

Back