• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sick...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Very good viewpoints on this thread. All I can add is that it is simple economics. As long as there is a pilot that is willing and able to: pay for their training, work in poor conditions, always fly a broken aircraft, not demand health insurance after a short period, mow lawns of their days off, then companies will be more than willing to accept it. This struggle will deter some from becoming a pilot, which will keep the supply of pilots lower, and thus the natural law of supply and demand will iron itself out.

If no company can find a pilot who's willing to finance their training department, they'll just have to find it their budget to do so--and no company group or pilot group is any worse off nor any better off.

Very good viewpoints on this thread. All I can add is that it is simple economics. As long as there is a pilot that is willing and able to: pay for their training, work in poor conditions, always fly a broken aircraft, not demand health insurance after a short period, mow lawns of their days off, then companies will be more than willing to accept it. This struggle will deter some from becoming a pilot, which will keep the supply of pilots lower, and thus the natural law of supply and demand will iron itself out.

If no company can find a pilot who's willing to finance their training department, they'll just have to find it their budget to do so--and no company group or pilot group is any worse off nor any better off.

Agreed. I was not attempting to defend this outfit in any way, just trying to insert a bit of logic and perspective into what was becoming an emotional debate (or actually, started as one).

Are there much better ways to start a career? A few, but I wouldn't say many. I'd submit that this job is much better than towing banners or that sort of thing, particularly if one is aspiring to be a 121 captain one day. The ME time and experience in IMC in a two man cockpit is quite valuable, and frankly I'd look at someone coming from this background before I would someone with 1000 hrs bouncing around the pattern. The experience is much more relevant.

Logging of time

If there's no AP (and company regs require it) then multi-SIC time is logged. No different than many King Air operators who do the same thing.

It's nice to have two crewmen on board, especially in winter and spring in the Midwest and Northeast. Not to mention the customers often prefer it (I know ours do).

You CAN NOT log time in an aircraft that the type certificate does not require a SIC, even if pilicy does company does, unless this is a FAR 135 or simular operation.

Jungle Jet, saying that that job is better than a regional: head check for you would be good. Let's see turbine P121 multi versus p135 twin piston, no schedule, and horrific pay. Just remember most regionals only pay bad first year after that your pay pretty much doubles at most of them. At least as a flight instructor you buid PIC experience. I've done most of that stuff and can speak from experience.

After a couple thousand hours of piston time, you'll have stories of how things broke, how you dealt with it. You'll look outside for traffic when it's called, not inside at your TCAS.

Turbines rarely break = complacent pilot.

After a couple thousand hours of piston time, you'll have stories of how things broke, how you dealt with it. You'll look outside for traffic when it's called, not inside at your TCAS.

Turbines rarely break = complacent pilot.

The only engine failure i've ever had was a turbine.

Face it this job sucks big time. I don't know if you guys have seen regional mins lately but the regionals are entry level jobs. 24/7 on calls jobs are miserable I would rather have someone kick me in the balls 20 times a day than have a pager.

Just for perspective, my first twin job was flying a Chieftain under part 91. This was four years ago.

Pay was $36K with full benefits including 401K. Schedule was a flight every Tuesday and Thursday with the occasional Sunday afternoon pickup at the ranch.

Maybe 6 overnights in two years. We hired out the wash and wax and I performed the interior cleaning and Jepp updates.

I was flying this airplane when I was offered and then declined the job at ExpressJet.

This SIC and PIC job looks like crap. A get in, get the time, and get out job. But, no matter how low the pay or how bad the schedule there is an ass for every seat.

you can definetly log sic time if the ops specs require two crewmember but what good is sic piston twin unless you wan to get another piston twin job. also although a 135 job you are still responsible for part 91 rules as well. the job is what it is and as long as people out there take them they will keep coming around. not that bad if you are a fresh commercial with a wet multi cert. and want to be paid to learn something and don't want to flight instruct, although i learned a great deal teaching, like others have said a few years ago there were those who paid for this.

Latest resources

Back