Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

svcta

"Kids these days"-AAflyer
Taken from a job posting site about jobs in the sky.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Navajo SIC 7/12/2007
Upscale charter operator needs 2 Navajo F/O's. Chance to upgrade to Turbo-props or jets. You will be on-call 24/7 with 4 fixed days off and 4 movable days. Commercial ME and Inst. Prefer Navajo or 402 experience. Salary of $12,000/yr plus $50/day for each day you fly. Medical and 401k after 6mths. Plus additional income opportunities. Please send email to

There's also one for a Captain for 24K/yr and 100/day for flying.
Would anyone actually do this?
[/FONT]

You ignored two important parts:

"...[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]plus $50/day for each day you fly..."

[/FONT]And:

"[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Plus additional income opportunities."

[/FONT]That's not bad money to fly a Navajo, considering you'd likely fly 18-22 days per month. Mid- $20's to fly (o.k., drop flaps and gear and work the radios on) a docile light twin and rack up MULTI time is pretty good, and there's likely a much better QOL than the bottom feeder regionals they are competing with for applicants.

It's all about perspective.

Taken from a job posting site about jobs in the sky.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Navajo SIC 7/12/2007 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Upscale charter operator needs 2 Navajo F/O's. Chance to upgrade to Turbo-props or jets. You will be on-call 24/7 with 4 fixed days off and 4 movable days. Commercial ME and Inst. Prefer Navajo or 402 experience. Salary of $12,000/yr plus $50/day for each day you fly. Medical and 401k after 6mths. Plus additional income opportunities. Please send email to[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]There's also one for a Captain for 24K/yr and 100/day for flying.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Would anyone actually do this?[/FONT]

What's sick is that they used "upscale" and "Navajo" in the same sentence.

You ignored two important parts:

"...[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]plus $50/day for each day you fly..."

[/FONT]And:

"[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Plus additional income opportunities."

[/FONT]That's not bad money to fly a Navajo, considering you'd likely fly 18-22 days per month. Mid- $20's to fly (o.k., drop flaps and gear and work the radios on) a docile light twin and rack up MULTI time is pretty good, and there's likely a much better QOL than the bottom feeder regionals they are competing with for applicants.

It's all about perspective.

You must work there. If they're so confident that you'll be flying 18-22 days a month why not just pay a regular salary? And what exactly does "extra income opp.." mean? Cutting the grass at the hangar for $5/hr? Or Washing the boss's car? A 24/7 on call situation for 12K/yr that you can COUNT ON is ridiculous.

I know because I happen to work in the industry, you hater.

You'd think nothing of sending some kid to a regional to fly 20 days a month, making $22k with no beni's or QOL, yet frown on someone taking this job?

Don't comment about things you know little or nothing about, it just proves you're a jacka$$.

I happen to work in the industry, too. That Navajo deal is bogus for all the reasons listed by SVCTA and then some.

FO in a Navajo? For what they're paying an FO, they could buy an autopilot and deal with a marginal increase in insurance premiums to fly thing single pilot. Getting a single pilot for 40k, who will stick around and know the airplane and local area, is safer than two neophyte guys working for 24k and 18k each.

Also, the turnover cost that they're going to incur, even paying their PIC a whopping 24k plus 100/trip, is going to offset whatever money they're hoping to save.

My two cents.

My friend, I work in this industry, too. This is even worse than a regional job. QOL? How about 24/7 reserve? At least at a regional you have a sched., and yes benefits, some work rules, and no side jobs(i.e. "extra income opportunities"). I'm not stabbing at you, it's the kind of operator that would even suggest this. 12K a year for that kind of commitment is not what I'd call a 2-way street. Enjoy your job, midnight cowboy.

EDIT: Aimed at jungle, no jafo.

Last edited:
Again, a dose of perspective helps, gents. This is an entry level job, not a career job. It's better than most regionals I know of and certainly better than any CFI gig I've seen.

Midnight Cowboy? I surely am stupid as I have no clue what that was in reference to. As long as you laughed, I guess that's what counts.

Latest resources

Back