• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SIC type - please let your interviewers know

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Still, too bad the interviewer was so out of touch with the aviation world outside of SWA.[/quote]

Had a tift with the log book review interviewer when qustioning my USAF "other time". I realize that when not PIC, other time is worthless and didn't include it in my PIC (OR sic) total. But, on flights where I was the Aircraft Commander, I listed PIC for the enitre flight -- AS I WAS PIC. He couldn't fathom that I would consider myself PIC on the portion I included as "other". I explained that much like any in any long haul flight involving relief crews, the AC/Aircraft Commander/Captain is always the PIC and in command whether he is in the rest facility, head, etc. As we corrected my times, it took alot of convincing to allow him to count time included as "secondary" (in front seat but acting as non-flying pilot) to be included as PIC. The only way I won that arguement was by asking whether or not HE still considered himself the Captain/PIC on flights when it was the co-pilot's leg.

Hi!

Helos2Galaxy:
That seems wacked. It would seem that with most airlines only letting you count PIC when you are responsible for the aircraft, that they wouldn't have any problem with the PIC time.

Maybe that airline didn't hire that many mil guys???

cliff
LRD

No, its because everyone at SWA is required to be typed. It's part of the training program.

I think a couple of you need to slow down when you read these threads.

Nobody is saying that an SIC type counts for SWA - but if you are doing interviews you should be in tune with the aviation world outside of your particular airline enough to know that there are some people that have "SIC types."

Later

That is almost the perfect example of how they run the logbook interview. It was told to me before I interviewed that they will find "something" wrong with your times or flying history. It is a general HR tactic to see your reaction to a pointed question without trying to ask "What would you do in this situation?" The interviewers know pilots are very protective over their logbooks and times, so what is perceived as an attack on your record keeping is actually a form of a question. They want to see you reaction...are you hostile? Amicable? A pushover to what the interviewer says? Are you trying come to an agreement on the best way to handle it? For some people, maybe the interviewer does find a mistake....are you humble and confess that it was an honest mistake?

The logbook reviewers, I found out later, are very good at reading and understanding all the forms from all the branches of service as well as looking at civil logbooks. The PD knows all it takes is a few phone calls to verify your times, which is especially easy for 121 and military time.

If it was a retired pilot, then like it was said above, he probably had never heard of an SIC type. If it was a logbook interviewer, you probably kept some good records and the interviewer couldn't find any glaring problems or questions about your flying history. He/she probably knew what an SIC type is and by asking what it means could lead to a good discussion and explanation.

Last edited:
I would have stood up and slapped him and said "how dare you question my logbook". Then I would have broke down in tears and told him my hamster just died and that I was a little out of sorts. I would then dry my eyes and ask if he had any more questions.

I think a couple of you need to slow down when you read these threads.

Nobody is saying that an SIC type counts for SWA - but if you are doing interviews you should be in tune with the aviation world outside of your particular airline enough to know that there are some people that have "SIC types."

Later

I read it right. My point confirmed what was said earlier. I found a guy who did my logbook review really wasn't up to speed on what was going on in the industry. He wasn't even aware that many guys, who were Captains at certain regionals, were bumped back to the right seat after 9-11. My questioning was "So why did you go from Captain back to FO?" It still didn't make sense to him when I explained it.

I felt they knew general trends in the industry, but not specifics. But it could be different and different places. In this case, I'm not talking about SWA.

I would have stood up and slapped him and said "how dare you question my logbook". Then I would have broke down in tears and told him my hamster just died and that I was a little out of sorts. I would then dry my eyes and ask if he had any more questions.

Now that's funny. Thanks for the laugh!

Latest resources

Back