Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
EMBpilot said:
Folks,

How does one go about a SIC check out? I fly for an airline, but I would like to get in a very, very part time corporate flying (without undercutting any one :)).

I read in a few places that Part 61.55 check out, which I had a couple of years ago, is not good anymore due to the insurance reasons. I was told that people have to go through a part of the Captains class and sim training to get signed of as a SIC.

1. How long does the class + sim take and how much does it cost?
2. I assume it is offered by FlightSafety, CAE and others, right?
3. What airplane would you suggest to train in (easiest to find occasional jobs)?
4. Do the insurance policies have currency requirements for SIC's?

Thank you very much for your time.
First of all where do you want to fly out from?
Ita all depends where you want to conduct your part time flying. There are areas where it is easier than other cities because of the acft population and wealth of owners.
As far as training goes nowadays I would not reccomend to spend money on your own for training unless you do not have a budget to worry about.
If you want a cheap Citation rating PrestSim might be what you are looking for, training is not as good as CAE but much much cheaper. Otherwise you could get into the LearJet segment and have your SIC type or full blown type rating @ CAE SImuflite; they are the most competitive price-wise around.
Be careful about that because it will not be always possible to do contract flying on your own rules and time it is a jungle when you get into it.

Thanks for all the priceless info, guys.
I fly a 767 (FO), 99% long haul, so doing some fun and "entirely different kind of flying all together" every once in a while is a very attractive deal to me to stay in love with aviation.
Area - SoCal.

Anyone ever gotten the 61.55 SIC endorsement through 'in-house' training (i.e. in a company's aircraft)? What types of things did you do on the flight? Anything more than the minimum required? How long did all of the training take? Were you ever questioned later on about your training by another employer?

Most insurance companies now require school to be SIC qualified. Cost will vary. School is approx 5-6 days. Simcom is the least expensive. Depending on what type aircraft either Orlando or Phoenix.
EMBpilot said:
Folks,

How does one go about a SIC check out? I fly for an airline, but I would like to get in a very, very part time corporate flying (without undercutting any one :)).

I read in a few places that Part 61.55 check out, which I had a couple of years ago, is not good anymore due to the insurance reasons. I was told that people have to go through a part of the Captains class and sim training to get signed of as a SIC.

3. What airplane would you suggest to train in (easiest to find occasional jobs)?

We have a Citation V. Our insurance requirements state for SIC :
1) 2500 tt
2) 1000 mel
3) 250 turbine or jet
4) 25 in type
5) current school ( 1 year )

EMBpilot said:
Folks,

tracearabians said:
We have a Citation V. Our insurance requirements state for SIC :
1) 2500 tt
2) 1000 mel
3) 250 turbine or jet
4) 25 in type
5) current school ( 1 year )

You need to get a new insurance provider. We can use anyone we want provided they are FlightSafety or SimuFlite current.

Premiums will go up with less requirements like that. Those requirements are in place to keep premiums lower, especially with a lot of liability. School is a must, but someone with closer time requirements can usually get by with a little arguing. Someone with very little time though, forget it.

CapnVeggeto:

Any ideas what your insurance requirements might be to be in the left seat? They used to be pretty easy in a 500 series, but I understand all insurances have clamped down quite a bit.
Thanks

Hung

Latest resources

Back