Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BugSmasher999

Bounce, counts for two!
I’ve been doing some 135/Corporate SIC stuff for a while now and I’m liking it (Thanks for your forum discussion earlier in the year.…) but sometimes I get paired with this one PIC, and I can never seem to please this guy. Everything I do seems to be incorrect or he’ll do it prior to me doing it correctly.

I’ll give you and example:
My PIC, during the pre-take off brief tells me that He’ll call for gear up. After take off, he calls for “gear up”, and as I’m reaching for the gear lever he reaches for it himself and brings the gear up. This is normal for him.

Another example:

During the approach brief my pilot said to use up as much runway as I need, (it’s late/there’s no traffic/and we’ve got a 6000 ft. long strip). I make a decent landing, and on roll outwe’re coasting, and I figure we’ll just roll out to the end. My pilot (on the rollout) grabs the controls and sais “what are you doing?” And yanks back on the yolk for some aerodynamic braking. (and no this nosewheel doesn’t shimmy). He then seems disgusted by My performance.

Another example:

Chew duties are divided between the flying and the non flying pilot. The Non-Flying pilot (me) is in charge of radio comm., and navigation. While enroute, Center gives us another frequency, my PIC makes the reply…then before I can do anything he dials it up on the radio and then checks in. This happens all the time.

Anther Example:

During various operations (when I’m the flying pilot) the PIC will read the action items and I’ll perform the action or the check… but particularly after landing He’s in such a rush to get the airplane stopped and open the cabin door he’ll SKIP ITEMS on the checklist. Last time this resulted in an “improper sequence of events” after landing. Later on when the PIC realized that a particular operation hadn’t been performed. He then shouts about the action item looks at me like I’m the idiot.

The thing is it's always something... I can't say I've had a single trip that went smoothly with this guy. Other PIC’s in the operation have told me that what he does is rude cockpit behavior, and warned me about it. But what do I do? This guys probably reporting to the boss that I’m not a very good pilot.

How did you deal with this type of problem? Just let him continue and get used to it?

Last edited:
Try printing your message and leaving it in a place he will find it......... Tough position and I wish I could give you more advice. If you have no way of NOT flying with this captain, the way I see it you really only have two choices. One is the obvious; quit and get another job or two; find a way to help make the situation better. The second can only be done by bringing it out in the open but use caution and tact. (something I don't always do very well)

Good luck.

First of all, the other capts you fly with will see to it that this bonehead's opinion of you isn't the ONLY one to reach the bosses ears. Let them know what this guy is doing so they can help you head off any potential trouble. If anyone goes in to see anyone, you and the other copilots should let the boss know this idiot is running a non-standard and potentially unsafe operation by destabilizing the cockpit environment without a good, operational reason.

It won't be of any consolation to you, but being the copilot is absolutely the MOST difficult job one can imagine...being many things to too many people. Been there;done that. Just do everything you can to keep things safe, legal, and standardized. Your company must have standardization and SOP's. They are the best friend a copilot ever had. Stick with them until there's a darned good reason not to. They are good for the operation and take some of the guesswork out of your already difficult job.

I wish I could say something other than "welcome to aviation", but you won't be a copilot forever...it just seems that way with people like this bonehead to work with ( and they are the exception rather than the rule ). Hang in there and think how much better a captain you'll be from the negative training this guy has provided for you.

Welcome to the rat$hit world of 135 charter!... and to the jackoff captains who are such buffoons that this is the pinnacle of thier careers.

99% of the time in jobs like this a pi$$ing contest will go in favor of the Captain. He is probably a lifer and they want to keep him (cheap labor 24/7). You are easily replaceable by the next CFI looking to advance on. Try and keep a good attitude and get checked out as a PIC.......

.... while you continue checking out NEW JOBS!!

It will be over before you know it!! -- and rest assured the further up the food chain you move you will encounter FAR fewer of these types - they just dont get far - and thats a good thing.

Last edited:
Good advice from the previous guys. In the meantime, do things by the book. If he says to skip a checklist, run it anyway, and let him know its done. Keep doing what you know you should be doing, that way he will have no fuel to throw on a fire should he start one. I flew as an SIC with a gentlemen very much like him, and although it seemed like a lifetime his habits eventually caught up with him. It might also help to view this as a "what not to do when I'm in his shoes" experience.

Good Luck

Been there, done that as they say...

My advice: keep a cool head, do things by the book, and get out of there ASAP! That was my salvation...I stayed just long enough to become competitive for a regional airline job and then bailed. A 121 or reputable corporate job will make a world of difference.

Best of luck...hang in there.

KAK

Bug...you do have a problem and you have gotten some good advice from other posters. Unfortunately, you probably will just have to "go along to get along". Yeah....it sure is the pits.

Since you are just starting out in this career, what you are experiencing is part of the learning curve. It's too bad you are having to learn some of the more unpleasant sides of our business this early, but that's just the way it is.

I have not flown with you, so I don't know about your performance. Everyone keeps saying there are two sides to every story, but based on your info it appears your side is the correct one. My next comment does not imply you are doing something wrong. A few years back, I had a fairly new co-pilot who had a real tendency to screw things up, not follow all standard procedures, etc., etc. I just continued my job and covered up for his mistakes and had little to say to him about them. In retrospect, I was wrong in silently correcting the mistakes. This was not fair to the individual. That action (mine) is probably just as bad as what you are experiencing.

Again, I am not saying you are in the wrong (don't think you are), but just in case this individual has only one valid point vs 25 or more invalid points....learn from it.

The best thing you are learning right now is how NOT to do the job. So, in a few years or so when it is you sitting in the left seat with a new co-pilot in the right seat, remember how you were treated and don't repeat the mistakes you are seeing right now.

I have learned more about flying from all of the idiots I have ever worked with than any of the good pilots. Just remember how it feels when you are the PIC someday.

Flew with one of these. He eventually put the gear up on the ground when he was pnf in a small jet. Had to laugh.

Bottom feeder 135 outfits are unfortunately full of guys like this because they will never work elsewhere, and I do not mean that in a good way.

Document everything that goes on, dates and times, particularly if there are safety issues, or violations of FARs and/or company policy. Hang on to these notes, they are your insurance policy for when the guy screws up. Other than that, look for another job, and see if there is a way to influence scheduling without getting your tail in a sling.

Good luck.

I don't see any jets listed on your "Aircraft flown" list, so I'm assuming it's a turboprop(I assume BA90 means a King Air A90). If so, this pilot is more than likely single pilot qualified - and does checkrides as a single pilot operation. IF it is a single pilot aircraft, then he should be operating the gear at all times - so that on those flights that he is alone, he doesn't call for gear down and land with it up because nobody else put it down...or not be able to climb after losing an engine because he called for gear up and...... If he is not SP qualified in the aircraft, there's no reason for what he's doing. He may just be doing it out of habit if he often flies it SP. Same with the radio calls.

As for him being an a$$bag....well, there's absolutely no reason for that. Unfortunately, some people never learn what it means to be a good Captain.

Latest resources

Back