Shuttle Re-entry

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TonyC said:
Of course, there haven't been any day landings in the last couple of years, either.
I meant the past couple years when they were actively flying the space shuttle! I knew I should've clarified that earlier!

Anyways... Good luck to the Discovery crew tomorrow! I'm sure it'll go off without a hitch!

User997 said:
That's some pretty cool telemetry! Judging by the data shown, the shuttle is currently travelling at 4.7 miles a second, 282.3 miles a minute, at a cool 66.4 miles above the earth!

I have a hunch that the picture must have been a screenshot from a previous mission - 4.7 mps and 66.4 miles altitude are more indicative of the start of a reentry, and aren't quite compatible with a stable orbit, and would represent numbers typical after the OMS reentry burn. Entry interface is considered to have occurred at 400,000 feet (76 miles).

Interesting info from the Space Shuttle News Reference - Written back in 1988, so the software and avionics references are a bit out of date, but the rest of it is pretty accurate, and possibly the best source of info on Shuttle operations.

Deorbit:
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/reference/shutref/events/deorbit/

Entry through to landing:
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/reference/shutref/events/entry/

BTW, is that approach plate for real? It looks good, but the pilots would have been managing their approach via TACAN considerably prior to the region covered by the plate, and wouldn't have a particularly long amount of time to transfer to using approach plates for the approach, especially given that they're relying on computer information for energy management. Is that a spoof (albeit a somewhat convincing one, as far as I can tell) because I find it difficult to believe that the pilots are looking at it while landing. The only real use for it that I could see is if they needed to make them to satisfy some FAA paperwork requirement.

Do you think I'll be able to see or hear anything in Ft Lauderdale? The ground track looks like it will be over the western part of the state, and I don't want to get out of bed at 0400 for nothing.

Looks like a 0622E ETA now due to low clouds. Also being reported by MSNBC that this would be the second and final landing opportunity.Not sure what they need for landing mins but Melbourne's TAF is

(2)TAF AMD KMLB 080614Z 080606 21004KT P6SM SCT006 BKN250
TEMPO 0811 BKN005 BKN200

Several stations in Orlando, as well as CNN, have been showing an animation of the flight path, that will be flown by the shuttle, using satellite maps powered by Google Earth. The funny thing, is that their animation shows the shuttle landing at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, as opposed to the Shuttle Landing Facility. Should somebody tell them? Nah.

Had a heads up from some friends at JSC and made some plans to witness a shuttle reentry over Texas. It was in the late 1990s and flew about the same track Columbia flew on her last mission.

We lived in the Houston area, rented a plane, and flew to the north side of Conroe, not exactly sure what we were looking for. We'd see points of light, speculate, and then be dissapointed when they didn't really move.

The rear seat passenger saw it first, and there was NO question what we were seeing. As it passed, it left a spectacular glowing plasma trail from horizon to horizon! It remained glowing minutes after the shuttle had passed.

To give you an idea how impressive it was, our passenger, not a pilot at the time, said she would willingly get up at any hour of the night to see it again. It was one of the more spectacular things I've seen from an airplane as well.

BTW, it was night time when the shuttle made it's descent over us, and ever since I check the groundtrack to see if it's ever going to be anywhere near I happen to be.

Lilah

The first time I heard the sonic boom I thought a car hit my house pretty intenseI've only seen a re-entry once pretty cool.

Latest resources

Back