• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Shuttle launch a "GO"...why why why

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry Comrade, you are mistaken. There are no plans for another Orbiter. USA has no role in the design or construction of space vehicles.
Source? My friend is one of the engineers for the avionics on the new platform. He is overviewing the systems right now because he will be maintaining them in the future.

BTW, I never said USA was building the new orbiter or had anything to do with it. I said that my friend works there, and that he knows of the new shuttle to be constructed.

Last edited:
Oh really, ask your "source" who the contractor for the vehicle is and where it is being "constructed". You should probably tell your "source" that USA will be dissapear with the termination of the Shuttle program.

Oh really, ask your "source" who the contractor for the vehicle is and where it is being "constructed". You should probably tell your "source" that USA will be dissapear with the termination of the Shuttle program.
Stop being a jerk. Please. It is too early in the morning to start that crap. My source is legit. You are angry about something here and I don't know what it is. I am pretty sure he said two companies were joined on the project. He gave a lot of specific details on systems and such. And my source most likely knows where his job is taking him. Now, if you would like to continue this discussion be nice and present some sources.

Sorry Pal. your posting something as fact when you are the victim of some bad poop. I am asking you to present sources. NASA is in the process of soliciting bids for the CEV, not another Orbiter. There are two leading teams preparing to bid, both of which consist of more than one major aerospace contractor. USA is consulting with both teams, offering their advice as to how to best process, not build the spacecraft. USA has no experience building anything. USA has no contract for the new vehicle, not are they expected to receive one.
http://www.space.com/spacenews/archive06/USA_042406.html

OK calm down here boys, the shuttle has been losing foam on every single launch since STS-1. The shuttle program has about 4 more years to fulfill our obligation the rest of the world in regards to the space station. NASA and its contractors (read USA) already have a new vehicle program to get people and cargo into space, it is called “Ares program”
The crew exploration vehicle, which will succeed the space shuttle as NASA's spacecraft for human space exploration, will be named later. This vehicle will be carried into space by Ares I, which uses a single five-segment solid rocket booster, a derivative of the space shuttle's solid rocket booster, for the first stage. A liquid oxygen/liquid hydrogen J-2X engine derived from the J-2 engine used on Apollo's second stage will power the crew exploration vehicle's second stage. The Ares I can lift more than 55,000 pounds to low Earth orbit.
Ares V, a heavy lift launch vehicle, will use five RS-68 liquid oxygen/liquid hydrogen engines mounted below a larger version of the space shuttle's external tank, and two five-segment solid propellant rocket boosters for the first stage. The upper stage will use the same J-2X engine as the Ares I. The Ares V can lift more than 286,000 pounds to low Earth orbit and stands approximately 360 feet tall. This versatile system will be used to carry cargo and the components into orbit needed to go to the moon and later to Mars.

Bocefus,

I’m not sure if your info in coming for first hand knowledge or what your reading in a newspaper. I currently work for USA at the cape. We may not be the ones who build it, but we are going to be the ones who services it, assemble it, and launch it! No other company has more experience when it come to this kind of work. I’m not saying that there wont be some layoff in the future for some of us at USA, but when they get this new program ready to fly they guys in white suits will have the USA logo on their backs.

I would imagine there is pressure from the highest office in this country to put on a good show for the morale of the country. That's why they are going to launch. If all goes well, the nation's citizens will have something positive to look at, raising the spirts of the American people.

Pa-44, have some more of that USA management koolaid. Please show me one credible source that supports your position. USA Management briefs don't count. I think you are forgetting who owns USA, Boeing and Lockmart. Oh yeah, Boeing is the majority owner;)

Latest resources

Back