Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

satpak77

Marriott Platinum Member
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/070406dnnatshuttlefoam.1fafba4d.html

NASA Administrator Michael Griffin decided last week that the shuttle should go into orbit as planned, despite the concerns of two top agency managers — including the top safety officer — who wanted additional repairs to the foam insulation.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/07/03/shuttle.launch/index.html

In the weeks leading up to the launch, two NASA officials, chief engineer Chris Scolese and chief safety officer Bryan O'Connor, gave a "no go" for the launch.....NASA Administrator Michael Griffin called the disagreements with the repairs a good sign that the culture at NASA has changed.....He and top senior officials took into consideration O'Connor and Scolese's concerns but concluded that if falling foam damages Discovery, engineers will know about it, and the crew can take refuge on the space station and wait for a rescue mission. Griffin said he wants to fly now because the shuttle program is slated to end in 2010 and NASA is committed to flying at least 16 missions to complete the space station. He said he worries that delays now will lead to dangerous schedule pressure later.

Am I the only one who sees a problem with this attitude?

Bio of Safety Officer

http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/oconnor-bd.html

Bio of NASA Administrator

http://www.nasa.gov/about/highlights/griffin_bio.html

clearly the NASA Administrator has more stick-time on the Shuttle....

Last edited:
I wonder how the astronauts feel about this, seeing as they're taking all the risk. I feel for their families.

It appears that it's business as usual, too bad the CAIB report findings continue to be ignored.

I don't understand that any more than I understand waiting until late afternoon in Florida to launch. Yet they wonder why there's a weather delay.

Why? the same reasons you take an aircraft with MEL's and /or deferred items.
Because persons smarter than you have previously evaluated and accepted the risk. The afternoon launch time results from orbital mechanics.

bocefus said:
Why? the same reasons you take an aircraft with MEL's and /or deferred items.
Because persons smarter than you have previously evaluated and accepted the risk. The afternoon launch time results from orbital mechanics.

You mean people like the top safety officer?

NASA Administrator Michael Griffin decided last week that the shuttle should go into orbit as planned, despite the concerns of two top agency managers — including the top safety officer — who wanted additional repairs to the foam insulation

I think a better question is why are we spending billions and billions on an outdated, inefficient and very expensive method of transportation? I realize that we don't have any other options but getting man into space, in the scheme of things isn't very important. NASA should have been spending the last 4 years designing something new, or giving the money to private enterprise to come up with something.

I think a better question is why are we spending billions and billions on an outdated, inefficient and very expensive method of transportation? I realize that we don't have any other options but getting man into space, in the scheme of things isn't very important. NASA should have been spending the last 4 years designing something new, or giving the money to private enterprise to come up with something.

The second orbiter is being constructed as we speak. It is supposed to be far ahead of its time. I got this from my friend at United Space Alliance. The orbiter will be single engine!

I'm concerned that I may be involved in a traffic accident today, should I stay in bed? Anyone who knows anything about NASA and the industry knows that "TOP SAFETY OFFICIALS" are idiots. Of course they have concerns. Their position requires nothing less. Dissent amongst committee members is a natural and good thing. This is why there is leadership, to weigh the opinions, gauge the risk and make a decision. If not, there is no need for leadership, let the committee decide.

Sorry Comrade, you are mistaken. There are no plans for another Orbiter. USA has no role in the design or construction of space vehicles.

Latest resources

Back