• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Shuttle America

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is nothing to "worry" about. There will be no staple. Shuttle pilots have a legal right to the flying on their certificate. They will not give that right up for a staple. The merger will be fair and they will not get screwed, end of story. If a few junior folks at chq want to bait us, then let them.

There will be no staple, PERIOD!! The union has already come out and said so. Don't expect straight DOH, but enough with staple crap. Why argue something that isn't going to happen. And it won't be put out for a vote either.

Echoing the words of Henry Clay:

"A good compromise is when both parties are dissatisfied."

Hopefully that's what we will have here.

"Welcome to RAH. We're not happy until you're not happy."

:D

The most recent thing I heard was DOH with the exception of the dates in which both companies had new hire classes starting on the same date. In that case the CHQ class would be senior to the SA class regardless of age.

Slap, Where did you hear DOH? Was there an official annoucement from our MEC today? April 18th is coming quick, and I'd sure like to know something before the training for the 170's start.

There has been NO ANNOUNCEMENT. The two sides have not even met yet and not scheduled to do so. I think there would be some sort of DOH but not straight DOH. I would think some sort of ratio would be fair. Just my opinion.

The seniority list SHOULD be merged as follows:

1. SA pilots who signed off their CHQ rights after 9/11 as a requirement to SA employment will be replaced with their original CHQ DOH. (This will be refered to as the "Modified CHQ seniority list")

2. SA will recieve a ratio merge into the Modified CHQ seniority list, however no SA pilot will be placed above any CHQ pilot with a longer longevity.

In other words: CHQ will take care of the pilots screwed by the 9/11 firings, then merge the lists. Next the SA pilots who recieve a "super seniority" in respect to DOH will fall in the seniority list to their correct DOH position.

I believe the 2 unions are scheduled to meet next week.

FlyingDawg said:
The seniority list SHOULD be merged as follows:

1. SA pilots who signed off their CHQ rights after 9/11 as a requirement to SA employment will be replaced with their original CHQ DOH. (This will be refered to as the "Modified CHQ seniority list")

2. SA will recieve a ratio merge into the Modified CHQ seniority list, however no SA pilot will be placed above any CHQ pilot with a longer longevity.

In other words: CHQ will take care of the pilots screwed by the 9/11 firings, then merge the lists. Next the SA pilots who recieve a "super seniority" in respect to DOH will fall in the seniority list to their correct DOH position.

So with this scenario, a pilot on the SA seniority list could jump ahead of me on the CHQ list.

I realize they got screwed before and the CHQ union dropped the ball by not protecting them. However why should that allow them to now jump me 3 ½ years later?

Your ratio/DOH idea sounds good in theory. However I do not think it is going to be both ways.

There is no way to pull this off without screwing some people over. A ratio benefits the more senior guys at SA and affects the senior guys at CHQ. A DOH will screw the more junior guys at CHQ and benefit (in terms of ratio) the more junior at SA. Shuttle did a lot of hiring in the year after 9/11 when CHQ did none. Therefore a lot of SA pilots would fall in that slot on the CHQ seniority list.

SlapShot said:
I believe the 2 unions are scheduled to meet next week.

http://www.ibt747.org/airlines/chq/news/2005/041205chqB.htm

So with this scenario, a pilot on the SA seniority list could jump ahead of me on the CHQ list.

Response:
Only those SA pilots who were on the CHQ list prior to 9/11, and that date of hire is senior to your SA date of hire.

I realize they got screwed before and the CHQ union dropped the ball by not protecting them. However why should that allow them to now jump me 3 ½ years later?

Response:
CHQ fired these guys rather than furlough them, some out of seniority order. Then before the union could respond to this injustice, they get baited into signing their recall rights away to become employees at SA. This will right the wrong committed in the past.

Your ratio/DOH idea sounds good in theory. However I do not think it is going to be both ways.

Response:
SA has everything to gain here. Better pay, better equipment, better QOL and future job security (more people behind them on the seniority list). The CHQ/Republic pilots in most cases will lose seniority numbers with either a ratio or DOH. This formula allows a rational means to justify their loss, since they would be no worse off than a ratio or DOH merge. A straight date of hire merge will hurt the bottom of the CHQ list the most. And a ratio will hurt the senior CHQ pilots the most. Remember both pilots groups must agree otherwise an arbitrator will decide for us. I think the CHQ pilot group will only accept a merge along these lines, otherwise they will take their chances with the arbitrator. Traditionally arbitrators will give some slight advantage to the acquiring/surviving company and this merge formula follows these lines by slighty favoring the CHQ pilots.

There is no way to pull this off without screwing some people over. A ratio benefits the more senior guys at SA and affects the senior guys at CHQ. A DOH will screw the more junior guys at CHQ and benefit (in terms of ratio) the more junior at SA. Shuttle did a lot of hiring in the year after 9/11 when CHQ did none. Therefore a lot of SA pilots would fall in that slot on the CHQ seniority list.

This merge needs to happen without dividing the pilot groups against each other.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back