Shuttle America Q's....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

T-Gates

I already did a search, theese are the questions I am left with....

IAD....Is it going juniior? Or can you expect a tour in Ft. Fun?

Saabs...All A Models?

Junior Schedules...Reserve? Ready Reserve? How long for a line? Avg. Days Off?

Cockpit J/S on UAL and UALX?

Any other pertinent info? News, etc....

Thanks for any input.....

Last edited:
Some anwers

T-Gates said:
IAD....Is it going juniior? Or can you expect a tour in Ft. Fun?
As an FO? Maybe. The number of lines in FWA after the cessation of USAir flying has yet to be determined, but that number will probably be 8 or so. You will have a very hard time getting into FWA as a captain (as it stands now, some of us are very concerned about getting displaced to Dulles), but I guess you can duke it out with other FO's as to who stays in FWA.

T-Gates said:
Saabs...All A Models?
Yep.

T-Gates said:
Junior Schedules...Reserve? Ready Reserve? How long for a line? Avg. Days Off?
This is a toughie since things are going to be very different when we're all-United. For once we'll actually have reserves that don't necessarily get to do much, as opposed to "yeah, you're on reserve but here's your schedule for the month and boy we hope you don't time out." There is no "ready reserve", but as a reserve pilot you're supposed to get 10 days off/mo., a number which I think will actually be realistic if we are staffed like we're supposed to be. Stories of people going down to 9 or 8 or 7 days off are not anecdotal, but again, this is probably going to change... Fewer planes, same staff. Not that long ago there were concerns about possible furloughs, but lo and behold we have a baker's dozen in new-hire ground school even as I type this (lots of FO's have left for AirWis, Pinnacle, PSA, etc., and we've lost a half-dozen captains in the last three months to the likes of Polar, Air Tran, etc.).

How long for a line? That depends upon so many factors that it's almost unanswerable. As of late, there are a large number of FO's who NEVER sat reserve. Some got reserve lines after six months of lineholding. So... It depends. The irony is that there are two kinds of pilots here... The ones that fly more than they want to and those that fly less than they want to (oftentimes the same person has both mindsets within two months of the other LOL). There is no middle bowl of porridge.

Average days off... Another toughie, again because things are going to be changing, but I'd hazard a guess at 12-13 days off, average, for a lineholder. Again, on reserve, it's 10.

T-Gates said:
Cockpit J/S on UAL and UALX?
I think so... But I haven't tried it so can't really say. I seem to recall some brouhaha over this recently, but I think we're finally allowed in the cockpit on Big U and already were allowed in the express carriers.

T-Gates said:
Any other pertinent info? News, etc....
Unless you want rumor, I can't think of anything off the top of my head... Except that if you do come here, you will have a training contract. You are free and clear of it 365 days from the day you are signed off for IOE, and if you leave before that, they are not going to let it slide.

T-Gates said:
Thanks for any input.....
Feel free to ask. And don't worry, efiscompmon will be along shortly to tell you that Satan himself wouldn't come work here. :)

Shuttle America, Chautauqua, Mesa and TSA are not in the cockpit access section of Air Wisconsin's FOM. Only Skywest, UAL, and ACA (although that has since ended...notification from the CP) And there has not been anything from the CP concerning letting the "new" UAX pilot groups ride in the actual j/s. I guess its the Captain's call.

Mayday.

Well then, I stand corrected.

Mayday911 said:
Shuttle America, Chautauqua, Mesa and TSA are not in the cockpit access section of Air Wisconsin's FOM. Only Skywest, UAL, and ACA (although that has since ended...notification from the CP) And there has not been anything from the CP concerning letting the "new" UAX pilot groups ride in the actual j/s. I guess its the Captain's call.

Mayday.
Are you guys trying to get that worked out or what?

And don't worry, efiscompmon will be along shortly to tell you that Satan himself wouldn't come work here. :)
Actually, I thought I maintained that he was running the show--does that make SW Little Nikky?

No, things are better with the departure of a certain DO. While it ain't all that, it's a good first job if turbine is new to you. Plus you get the "mobile lounge experience" in IAD, one of the few airports with adequate air conditioning!

If you come, stay your year. Or pay. They mean it now!

New DO???? Hum..

efiscompmon said:
No, things are better with the departure of a certain DO.
So PJ is not there anymore? did you guys promote someone from withing to fill the spot, like you did with the SOC Mgr?

Hope you guys do beter now under the UAL banner, maybe it will give you folks some new life in the future..

Good luck...

They still going to reduce the fleet down to 9 airplanes? I hear they are dumping Airways and strictly doing UA flying soon.

Yes, P is gone. The new DO is actually a former SA CP (I hope I have my story straight).

And 9 planes... Well that's the number, at least last I heard, but rumors abound of more flying to more cities, which would obviously require more planes. And yes, all for United, no more USAirways after the very beginning of October. None.

And this WILL do things for the bottom line, as we will actually MAKE money consistently with the United flying as opposed to the USAirways flying, which was sometimes up, sometimes down. This deal, at the very least, allows us to keep our heads above water while we try to secure something else (and by something else I mean more flying, more planes, more pilots, etc.).

So come October will there be furloughs because of the fleet reduction? I thought there are classes running right now.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back