Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should transponders be wired on for flight?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UALjan15

Uniform Swapper
In a recent discussion about the Malaysia 777, I was asked when an airline pilot would ever need to kill the squawk inflight. Other than a comically unlikely electrical fire in the transponder unit, I couldn't think of a reason why I would ever turn it off inflight. Change the code? Sure. But I think I could make a case that when weight is off wheels, the aircraft should squawk, regardless of what the crew does with the box. It would be a game-changer for situations where the transponder is intentionally turned off for nefarious purposes.

In a recent discussion about the Malaysia 777, I was asked when an airline pilot would ever need to kill the squawk inflight. Other than a comically unlikely electrical fire in the transponder unit, I couldn't think of a reason why I would ever turn it off inflight. Change the code? Sure. But I think I could make a case that when weight is off wheels, the aircraft should squawk, regardless of what the crew does with the box. It would be a game-changer for situations where the transponder is intentionally turned off for nefarious purposes.
You wouldn't have a circuit breaker for your always on transponder?

Latest resources

Back