Should the book be closed on AA587?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RP 04 said:
So did the FO push the rudder pedals, or not?

Due to the filter on the DFDR, we will never know. Did the pedals move as a result of the rudder movement, or FO inputs? Unfortunately, it'll take another similar accident before the answer will get a closer look from the government.

ils2minimums said:
Due to the filter on the DFDR, we will never know. Did the pedals move as a result of the rudder movement, or FO inputs? Unfortunately, it'll take another similar accident before the answer will get a closer look from the government.

Exactly.... and like I said earlier, it is much easier to blame the pilot and his airline than an airplane manufacturer that supplies a big chunk of the US airline fleet. We will most likely never know.... so therefore, duh, pilot error.

I just can't believe the pilot swung the rudder multiple times, why? It goes against a career of flying and training, maybe there was one agressive input, but not multiple inputs, it just doesn't make sense. They are not here to defend themselves and we shouldn't be so quick to condem, it just doesn't make sense. How easy would it have been to blame the pilots on the first one or two 737's?

ils2minimums said:
A note about the NTSB animations link in a post above. Those animations are based on a DFDR whose data was deemed ineffectual until it was reconstructed by two teams from, of all places, Airbus.

It is entirely possible that Airbus didn't look at things in a particularly objective fashion.

It reminds me a little of a company that discovered that they broke the DC-10's engine retainer pin - and then subsequently shredded the report.

PIPE

This would not be the first time the frenchies have been involved in a cover up.

Read:

http://www.amazon.com/Unheeded-Warning-Inside-American-Flight/dp/0070219516

Unheeded Warning documents the investigation of AE 4184 in Roslawn, Indiana. One part of the book claims that the State Department reversed an FAA grounding of the ATR. Yes...the State Department. Read this and you will never take an ATR into known icing again.

Later,

I cannot believe that more was not made of this:

According to the NTSB, N14053’s maintenance log revealed that during a preflight check on the morning of the accident, "the yaw damper and a pitch trim control would not engage ... The computer controlling these functions was reset."
- Aviation Today

Not that I'm a conspiracy theorist here, but guess what Egypt Air, AA 587 and the Alaska MD-80 with the bad jackscrew all have in common? They all had trouble with autopilot and/or yaw damper systems either not engaging or failing self-test immediately prior to their accidents.....

igneousy2 said:
This would not be the first time the frenchies have been involved in a cover up.

Read:

http://www.amazon.com/Unheeded-Warning-Inside-American-Flight/dp/0070219516

Unheeded Warning documents the investigation of AE 4184 in Roslawn, Indiana. One part of the book claims that the State Department reversed an FAA grounding of the ATR. Yes...the State Department. Read this and you will never take an ATR into known icing again.

Later,

I guess holding for about 45 minutes in heavy icing with the flaps down had nothing to do with it.

Latest resources

Back