Should I stay or should I go?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pa56pa

I need your advice on the following issue. I have been flying for this company for over a year now. Prior to my employment, the subject of sending me to Simuflite/ FSI came up and at that time, my boss verbally told me that they would take care of the training cost as long as I stayed with the company for at least 1 year.

The training did not take effect until 10 months later when the insurance demanded that I be sent for this Lear training OR ELSE, I would not be allowed to fly their airplane. Thus, I was sent to Simuflite last August for the type which cost the company $13500 + expenses. But on my first day of class, I was forced to sign a letter stating that I stay one year from my class completion date, and that if I leave before the year is up, that I would be liable for 1/12th of the cost monthly until the remaining months of the year has been paid back.

Now, an opportunity to work for another company has come up. Everything seems to be in order except for this one issue. Question: Should I stay or should I go? If I leave, will I be liable according to the letter I signed? Is this enforceable under our labor laws or am I screwed until August 2003 that I should stay to avoid paying for the training? Or should I leave and just pay it? I would appreciate your advice, especially from any legal standpoint. Thank you.

Well... It all depends... first off, you signed it, you should stick to it... they kept their end of the bargain (you got your type), now keep your end (either stay or pay)...

How good is this other job? Is it really worth jumping ship for?

You didn't really give enough details for us to help much...

Also did the Lear type help you get this new job?

"They kept their end of the bargain" .... sort of... their end of the bargain was that I work for a year, and I have as of last month. The problem is, the payback started at the end of August. If the insurance company did not hound them to get me to training after several warning letters, they would not have. In other words, the only reason why I was sent to training was because the insurance company made it mandatory a few months ago. I should've been sent a year ago. Now, I have to stay another 10 months or so, and probably without a raise or evaluation now in over a year.

Don't get me wrong, the flying is great right now because of the quality time and experience; but for other reasons such as economics, logistics, flexibility, benefits, etc. I have an opportunity to work for a better managed and professional corporate company. Thanks for your response..

pa56pa,

I agree with Falcon Capt., you must do what is best for you. If this new job is really a great opportunity, $13,500 is nothing in the big picture of what you could make in the grand picture of career earnings, and it sounds like you really want the job.

If you really want this job and your potential employer wants to employ you, talk to your current employer and see if you can negotiate the contract, you never know what you could resolve, be frank and honest on what you want to do.

Another option is talk to the other company and see if they would cover the cost of the contract, or a portion of the contract.

If the contract is binding, dont get messed up in a possible law suit or something that could make your life misserable.

In the end, do what you think is best for you, and look at all the options.

Good Luck

Sounds like you are going to have to make a decision about how good this new opportunity is. Remember this employer will be called for a reference. Honesty is always the best policy. Talk to your supervisor, tell him about your new opportunity and seek his advise. Do not come across as already having made a decision, hopefully this is an unsolicited offer and you can present it to him that way. You never know, maybe he will help you solve your problem.

a deal is a deal

even if they can't enforce this training contract, I am sure the decision to take off without paying could really bite you in the a$$ at a later date. remember don't burn any bridges!
good luck

oh yeah, you don't have to make it easy for the place you are leaving though, if you need, tell them you will pay them back but it may take a bit.

Exactly a deal is a deal, they paid, and you went.

Is the other job a better job, is it a $13,500 better job? If it is take it.

People that take there ratings and run are bad for the industry and are they reasons training contracts are some prevalent.

Don't want to sound harsh, but if you leave you need to pay and leaving on good terms is extremely important in this industry.

Here's something to thing about, if this new job is really a "quality" job, then they'd be more than happy to pay your old company for the training contract, then the new company "owns" the training contract and they can add you to the FS/SF contract as an additional aircraft, or recurrent. Thereby making it cheaper for everybody.

I agree that people who take their ratings and run are scum in the industry, but it seems you've been their long enough, talk to them, tell them your situation, what's the worst that can happen? It may hurt you in the long run, but I'm willing to bet the contract you signed isn't legally binding, probably not worded nor signed right. They typically have those, my company does, so people don't come and get IFR current and then jump ship. Either way, a Lear is a good plane, be happy.

pa56pa

I would suggest that you contact a lawyer before you talk to any one in the company. I dont believe the company cares one way or the other,if you went out looking for the job or the job came to you. The point is,you will be asking if it is ok for you to leave.Should they terminate you,would you owe them the money?
I was a c/p for twenty years and never asked anyone to sign a training contract and would not trust anyone that asks you to do so.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back