Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bwi?

New SWA Wife said:
All right all you fine pilots. The last thread I started about living in Orlando was incredibly helpful. Housing market, where to live, schools, etc. You all are great. Thank you so much.

Now I'm going to start this again. I'd like to hear opinions about Baltimore. Am I wishy-washy? You bethca! :p We just want to live by our base so I don't want to shut any doors.

My husband said that there may have been discussions about this before so if there have been I apologize and if you can steer me in the right direction then I'll go read there.

If not, I'd love to hear what you think about the Baltimore area. Looking for an hour commute or less, suburbia type living (is that possible without getting a postage stamp yard?) and anything else you have to offer.

Once again, thank you all and please pray for those being hit by the hurricane today.

the "Whiff"

Whiff,

I live down in Calvert County, MD. It's a great area and I/we (the family) really like living here. However, as noted above, it is expensive. I'm fortunate in that I'm finishing up my AF career at Andrews AFB and my pay the last two years has been WWAAYY more than beginning FO pay at any airline. So, I'm already established in the area.

Pro's to my area:
Well within reserve callout time, I'm forty driving miles south of the terminal and it takes about 50 minutes to get to the terminal. Not a lot of snow due to the Bay keeping things moderate.

Great area with lots of good, safe schools, great community structures for kids sports and team opportunites. It's basically a bedroom community to the DC area and most folks commute in to DC.

Most of the home lots are on a min of an acre. Lots of trees. Great seafood, since it's between the Patuxent River and the Bay. Lots of outdoor things to do for the adults and the kids.

Close to the big cities.

Con's:
Expensive. My wife and I are already talking about moving to PA if I get hired to reduce the tax burden.

Starting to get crowded. QOL is good here and it's bringing people in, county is working to control the growth.

Did I mention that it is expensive to live here?:p Never thought I'd pay as much for a house, as I did for the house I have now. However, it has been a great "investment".

Bottom line, we love it here, but I have my AF retirement to help out and we already have our house.

Good luck in your decision and congrats on getting on with SWA.

i was born and raised in Baltimore (contemplating relocating back). there are some nice areas in the immediate Baltimore suburbs, as well as within the city. Some of the nicer areas of Baltimore are Roland Park, Guilford, Homewood; Baltimore County (all within 45 minutes of BWI) - Towson, Pikesville, Reisterstown, Owings Mills.

i'll be the 1st one to tell you the city has some problems, but so does every major city in the US. It's a great area with some nice schools. Good luck in your search.

You had better make sure you don't mind all 4 seasons. While Spring ang Fall are spectacular, and the summer, while HUMID (which you have in MCO), you do have beaches, the winter is typically long, overcast, cold and wet. If I were you, I'd come up during fall and take a look around.

You are also 2.5 to NYC, 2.5 to VA Beach, 2.5 to the Smokies, etc. In Orlando, 2.5 hours will take you to a beach or Disney World.
The kids will dig the mid atlantic and if they are half smart enough, you can send them to that 2nd rate welfare school on the water while you and the hubby sit on the porch deciding which beach house to spend their college money on.

Last edited:
What About Mdw, Baby?

miles otoole said:
The kids will dig the mid atlantic and if they are half smart enough, you can send them to that 2nd rate welfare school on the water while you and the hubby sit on the porch deciding which beach house to spend their college money on.

Classic!:D

Calvertonian

Whiff,

Like F16TJ, I live in Calvert County. I've been stationed at Andrews for quite a while and will be going on terminal leave in Feb. I interviewed in Jul and just got "the call" last week. Like my esteemed colleague stated, Calvert County is a great place to live, about 45 min away from BWI, great schools, but . . . home prices are steep to say the least. We bought a home here almost two years ago and prices have gone up a great deal since then. Then again, that's true for anywhere on the East Coast. We're close to a lot of places and even though Calvert County is growing, the area still has a country feel. PM me if you have any more questions.
Kabul

Don't forget that BWI stands for Baltimore-WASHINGTON international.

D.C. is a great area with lots going for it and a bunch of great suburbs (of which Calvert County is one). Home prices are absolutely outrageous, though. A decent neighborhood (with 20-40 yr old homes and 1/4 acre lots) will run $500-$600K plus. Anything new in the adjacent suburbs (Montgomery MD, Fairfax-Arlington-Alexandria VA) is over a million. It can be very depressing for a potential home buyer looking for what they grew up in. In fact, without a lot of equity from another home or another good income, D.C. in the last year has outpaced a new FO's ability to move here (unless you don't mind renting). The suburbs out West (rte 66) and south (rte 95) provide more for the money (though still pricey) but I wouldn't wish that commute on anyone. It's 60-70 minutes from the heart of Fairfax Co. to the parking lot, about the same as the southern PA ride.

If you can overcome the cost of housing, I would highly recommend the D.C. area for culture, jobs, growth, activities, etc.

Good luck with the search.

Whiff,

As many have said before the homes in the area are very expensive and with most big cities parts of the area not safe.

I lived in the Baltimore area for some time in two different cities. The first was Columbia and the other West Minister. They both were nice places to live and have different things to offer..

Columbia is a very well laid out community only about a twenty-minute drive to BWI. Shopping is close and I loved the way most of the homes are set in the trees. There are also lots of jogging/biking trails that run through most communities.

West Minister is on the verge of being somewhat out in the sticks. We had purchased a place on four acres and loved the serenity and the countryside. The drive into BWI was about 45 minutes to an hour.

If you want more of the city life go with Columbia or if you are a country gal go with West Minster. Then again live where you want and let the hubby commute. SWA is growing into Pittsburgh, which is a very short flight into BWI and it is much cheaper to live.

Best of luck to ya!

yes please move to south central PA, escape taxes and live in one of the numerous cookie cutter sized homes, on the stamp sized lot and increase our taxes so itll be as bad as md were you all are trying to aviod, yet enjoy the view as they keep building and the farmland disappears

sorry just a york countyian tired of MDers...

it really is a nice place btw

Latest resources

Back