Should I move to BWI?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

New SWA Wife

All right all you fine pilots. The last thread I started about living in Orlando was incredibly helpful. Housing market, where to live, schools, etc. You all are great. Thank you so much.

Now I'm going to start this again. I'd like to hear opinions about Baltimore. Am I wishy-washy? You bethca! :p We just want to live by our base so I don't want to shut any doors.

My husband said that there may have been discussions about this before so if there have been I apologize and if you can steer me in the right direction then I'll go read there.

If not, I'd love to hear what you think about the Baltimore area. Looking for an hour commute or less, suburbia type living (is that possible without getting a postage stamp yard?) and anything else you have to offer.

Once again, thank you all and please pray for those being hit by the hurricane today.

the "Whiff"

90% of the folks I know from SWA living in the BWI area live in Pennsylvania. Lower taxes and more bang for the buck with housing. Not a bad commute either driving wise. Some others live in Annapolis, but you would have to deal with a second rate Academy there. BWI is the most junior base and so would do well for hubby careerwise, if you are a northeasterner type. Good luck.

Baltimore area has one of the most biggest problems in USA

Baltimore area has huge problems with drugs and crimes!

I would consider twice living there!

There has been a lot of things in news about baltimore problems lately!

You are really running the risk of moving twice. Seniority changes from base to base because of other factors unkown. Do you live in a base city now? My advice involves two possible moves, but....move somewhere where you want to live now and wait for the upgrade.

Try this thread, very little has changed...

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=34228

pilot1704 said:

She was asking about the suburbs, which are pretty much the same as suburbs anywhere else in the country- just more expensive. As long as you stay out of the hood it's not an issue (from someone who lives downtown).

pilot1704 said:

Ummmmmm, you don't have to live in the airport parking garage. Or, were you referring to the neighborhood called 1600 Pennsylvania Ave in DC?

Suburban PA home prices and commuting traffic is increasing exponentially as commuters from NYC, Philly, and Baltimore look for cheaper homes. 5 years from now you might like the home price appreciation in PA, but hate the traffic.

Last edited:
I just moved to TX from the Mid-Atlantic area at the end of June. I lived there 7 of the last 10 years. While I liked living there overall, the cost of living can get high. Housing can be very expensive depending on where you choose to live.

BWI is the same as any other east coast large city. You dont want to live in the hood but you can no longer afford to live in the nice suburbs (at least not on a pilot salary)

Look out in to PA or DE - its a further drive but possibly affordable and better taxes.

I lived in Pasadena, MD (just SE of BWI) for almost 7 years. Very nice, but expensive. I would reccomend living outside the Baltimore beltway, anywhere from BWI south to Annapolis, or out west in Columbia. Be ready for very expensive living....in most respects, and it increases the closer you get to the water.

The eastern shore, (across the bridge from Annapolis), used to be a bit cheaper, but was getting more expensive. The same with DE.

Another thought is Frederick, MD about 45 mins west of BWI. A very nice town, outside of the crowded metro area. Even out there, it's gonna cost you.

320AV8R

kelbill said:
90% of the folks I know from SWA living in the BWI area live in Pennsylvania. Lower taxes and more bang for the buck with housing. Not a bad commute either driving wise. Some others live in Annapolis, but you would have to deal with a second rate Academy there. BWI is the most junior base and so would do well for hubby careerwise, if you are a northeasterner type. Good luck.

I didn't know the AFA was located in Annapolis, I could have sworn it was in
C Springs:) Hey, u knew someone was going to take the bait on that one.

Latest resources

Back