Should I fly for this guy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Groundpounder

There is a guy that flies a King Air 200 from the airport I work at that is looking for someone to fly right seat for him. He wants someone to help him clean the hangar and the plane, and in exchange, I get taught how to fly a King Air 200, and get some right seat time. I have no problem doing some cleaning, and he said he'd teach me the ins and outs of being a co-pilot.

Here is the kicker.

No one wants to fly with this guy. He has had people quit flying for him while they were out on a trip, and found their own way home cause they didn't want to fly with him. I've seen first hand that he can be a total jerk when I've had to deal with his airplane. He treats all the line guys like dirt.

Also, I talked to him for a little while today, and he was explaining how I'll need to look like a pilot, and how he has owned a rolex since he started flying because that is how he saw pilots dress, so he started doing that. He also went on and on about how pilots don't have goatee's (I have one, so I guess I'd need to shave it) and need to wear long sleeve shirts, etc etc.

I'm wondering, should deal with his BS and get the experience, or should I stay away? I don't mind doing some grunt work for some flight time, but I don't want to be treated like a peice of dirt.

Don't waste your time, there are better things to do . Real pilots can't wait to get in shorts and a T-shirt, unless the uniform helps baffle the TSA.

tell him you are interested, but you will need a retainer of $X000.00 to start and then he will be on probation for 90 days!

Good lord no. I served my time in line service hell as well. I had a few chances to fly with guys like this, but didn't. I've seen many friends try to exchange broom time for King Air time. It pretty much never worked out - especially when working for an a**hole. There are exceptions to the rule, but if it feels wrong, it probably is.

I got some pretty interesting flight time while being a gas jockey, but not with guys like that. Pass on this one and wait. Believe me, there's always another empty seat at the airport.

Last edited:
if you havent flown for a jerk like this yet, I say do it! everyone should be subjected to the idiot pilot that he is at least once. Once you see what you shouldnt act like you will be a better pilot for it. when hes a jerk be polite and professional then decline any further involvement. unless he's paying dont shave the goatee tell him your 20 year old girlfriend just loves it (when it tickles her thighs) is this to racy? because its obvious no one loves this guy. allways be kind and answer questions young aviatiors need help too

Not worth it. Better opportunities will come along.

Is it part 91? If so, how you gonna log it? If he's an instructor the time could be lagit. If not, why waste your time? I've flown for guys like that b4 and I wouldn't go back for anything. But, you need flight time. If you can log it and he'll pay you, it might be worth it. At your level, hell even my level, any experience is golden. You might just want to give it a shot, and if it doesn't workout, just walk away. Good luck!

Right seat in a king air 200 wouldnt be the greatest way to log multi time. You would however learn alot but might get questioned about logging it depending on future choice of employers.

plus he sounds like a douch!

Latest resources

Back