• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should captain pay top out at 150K?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We are payed better than 2% of America and only work half the month. Not a bad deal guys.

Huh? So 98% of America makes more money then us?

You only work half a month!? Wow, must be nice! Last I checked most people who do the 9 to 5 don't go into the office on a Sunday and live in their office through Friday night.

If you work 40 hours a week, that's 160 hours a month in the office. If I look at my per-diem checks, I'm "away at the office" more that 300 hours a month... easily.

Okay, besides... why should Captain pay be topped out at $150k, that's not exactly a lot of money nowadays.

If you think of the service that an airline captain provides on a per flying hour basis, we're still kind of a bargain. Let's say you're paid $200/hour to fly a B777, and you fly 300 people on a two hour flight... $600 isn't exactly an exorbitant fee to pay the man or woman who's holding the bag on their safety.

Sure, you can have your $150k, you just won't have the job long. Times are tough. You union guys better think before you try and get tough with your bosses. You should be lucky to have a job in this environment.

Instructordude is FI's most senior flamebaiter. If you don't know that then you don't come here very often.

It doesn't matter what you had to do to get here, how much you spent and sacrificed along the way, or how good a stick you are.

You get what you negotiate and what your company can afford. That is all.

Since we are talking salary caps what about CEO's.

For failure, CEOs make millions....

I guess we need to start crashing jets.... then we will be millionaires!

Since we are talking salary caps what about CEO's.

For failure, CEOs make millions....

I guess we need to start crashing jets.... then we will be millionaires!

You're kidding right? How in the world are you going to get good mgt if you don't compensate them? I hear the guys from AIG will run your airline for next to nothing.

Seems to me we are realistic about the world we live in and the market which pays our wages.

Also, stop comparing our wages to the CEO's and upper management. If you want those wages then become a CEO's or a top manager. We are payed better than 2% of America and only work half the month. Not a bad deal guys.

Dude,

You’ve been listening to our company negotiator who said the exact same thing last spring. What you seem to forget is that while we’re still trying to live and pay bills on our 1993 pay wages, our esteemed management’s pay has risen over 900% since 2003.

Can you see the disconnect or do I need to explain it more in detail to you??!! This is especially obscene when our 2003 pay cuts were predicated on the “Share Sacrifice” and “Pulling Together, Winning Together.” We pulled, they won!

Point being, pilots have been on a shrinking iceberg for 30 years and we have to reverse the trend or we risk lowering our wages to that of truck drivers in a few years.

AA767AV8TOR

You're kidding right? How in the world are you going to get good mgt if you don't compensate them? I hear the guys from AIG will run your airline for next to nothing.
:laugh:

Instructordude said:
Seems to me we are realistic about the world we live in and the market which pays our wages.

Also, stop comparing our wages to the CEO's and upper management. If you want those wages then become a CEO's or a top manager. We are payed better than 2% of America and only work half the month. Not a bad deal guys.

:laugh: :laugh:

You guys are too funny!

The industry as a whole needs a good ol' fashioned strike. Shut the whole thing down for a month or two. That would be cool.

What you guys don't have is the whole picture. Some of the guys who work for me get mad at me for decisions that I make. But they don't have the whole picture. Sure, what I decide, they may not like, but in the end, it's for their own good.

CEOs don't get hired to drive companies into the ground. Companies often thrive in spite of labor, not because of it. Therefore, if the mgt asked you to cross a picket line, they might be doing it for the health of the company and job security of all the employee groups.

Latest resources

Back