• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should captain pay top out at 150K?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wide body international captain pay should top out at $150,000 per a year in 1975 dollars!!!

When your resume looks like this: C-152,C-172,C-182,BE-90, RJ, Douglas bird. One may tend to set his career earning expectations on the low side. Mainly, one with such a limited resume would not comprehend the complexities and rigors that come with international flying as well as the great responsibilities that come with flight officer duty.

Those of us in the real world do understand. So..... Wide-body Captains 300k. FOs 175k. Narrow-body Captains 200k FOs 150k.

Last edited:
Dude, Point being, pilots have been on a shrinking iceberg for 30 years and we have to reverse the trend or we risk lowering our wages to that of truck drivers in a few years.
AA767AV8TOR

What are you talking about?? Every regional FO is already paid lower than many truck drivers, and also many regional captains. Many truck drivers are at 50-60 grand. But I see you are an AA aviator and from what I have heard from some Eagle folks, you guys don't consider rj pilots as real pilots.

But aside from that I agree with your post. Something needs to be done.

What are you talking about?? Every regional FO is already paid lower than many truck drivers, and also many regional captains. Many truck drivers are at 50-60 grand. But I see you are an AA aviator and from what I have heard from some Eagle folks, you guys don't consider rj pilots as real pilots.

But aside from that I agree with your post. Something needs to be done.

Regional first officers qualify for food stamps.

Instructordude's schtick is old, tired and played out. Yet some of you still fall for it.

Ten years ago, when airlines were hiring like mad and most of the threads on this site were about who was getting interviewed and hired, a buddy of mine confessed that he used to screw with people on here. He would come on here and let on like he was a young women and "she" would complain because United/US Airways/(insert desired major airline) turned "her" down for the second time and claim that "she" had 1500 hrs and 60 hrs of multi engine and isn't it an outrage that they wouldn't hire "her".

Then he would sit back and watch guys fall all over themselves berating "her" because they had 7600 hrs, 3300 hrs jet PIC and couldn't even get an interview and where did "she" get off complaining....and so on.......

That's what Instructor dude does and people still fall for it......He's laughing at you.

A 2nd year FedEx FO can come close to 150k....Shouldn't take 12 years..

Really? For some poor slob sitting reserve on the bottom of a widebody FO list that would work out to $169 per hour (based on 884 CH per year). That rate, according to the CBA doesn't come until year 15. The year-2 guy in the same situation would earn 119K, a far cry from 150. In order to earn 150K a year-2 pilot would have to get 1106 CH.

Now if you're the carryover whore, one of the Memphis Mafia, or a Cubicle Commando that might be a different story.

Not saying that there aren't FO's that "come close to 150K" in their second year, but it seems like they had to work extra to get it.

Dude,

You’ve been listening to our company negotiator who said the exact same thing last spring. What you seem to forget is that while we’re still trying to live and pay bills on our 1993 pay wages, our esteemed management’s pay has risen over 900% since 2003.

Can you see the disconnect or do I need to explain it more in detail to you??!! This is especially obscene when our 2003 pay cuts were predicated on the “Share Sacrifice” and “Pulling Together, Winning Together.” We pulled, they won!

Point being, pilots have been on a shrinking iceberg for 30 years and we have to reverse the trend or we risk lowering our wages to that of truck drivers in a few years.

AA767AV8TOR

Good point,

When I was a Newbie on the property at NWA a Senior Captain told me that in the old days, a Senior Captain could buy a new Cadillac on a months take-home pay....today a new Cadillac costs about $50,000. Sooooo, gthe senior Captain grossed about $65,000 in today's dollars. Doing the math, the senior Captain grossed about $780,000 annual, adjusted for inflation.

Today's saleries pale by comparisson. We have only ourselvs to blame by accepting concessionary contracts.

The only question remaining is when will airline pilots draw the line in the sand....

When you are young and single flying a jet making $60,000 a year and you have no family and no expenses it is sometimes hard to have the maturity to look ahead and see the realities that lie ahead.

I admit I had a year in my mid 20's that I made $100,000 flying and then made another $50,000 selling my first home, plus made another $10k or so in misc income. i thought I was loaded with so much cash I didnt know how to sepnd it all.

Last year I made $107K and with a wife and 3 kids I barely have enough to get by.

Latest resources

Back