Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should an ATP be required for both pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Should a ATP be required to fly for an airline?

• Yes

Votes: 792 83.2%
  • No

Votes: 144 15.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 16 1.7%

• Total voters
Don't get me wrong, I have had some very low time FO's when I was a CA at a regional that were exceptional pilots for the amount of time they had, but the real world experience was definitely lacking due to no fault but their own lack of flight time.

That is the problem with those who don't see the line flying. All they see is the new hires going through training with little problem. They can fly the heck out of the sim but once on line, they struggle with basic communication and flying visual approaches. Experience is experience. You can't change that no matter how much sim time you have.

That is the problem with those who don't see the line flying. All they see is the new hires going through training with little problem. They can fly the heck out of the sim but once on line, they struggle with basic communication and flying visual approaches. Experience is experience. You can't change that no matter how much sim time you have.

sorry, I meant to say I was a plain ol' Captain not a Check Airman CA/OE Captain. Most low time pilots did well until the workload increased due to bad wx, keeping your speed up in NYC airspace and trying to configure/maintain a stabilized descent profile, etc. I recall one rare exception with a new FO who had about 400- 500 TT and was a "natural". Later that year he earned an A-10 flight slot. He was a real nice guy and very modest about his abilities and this was the consensus amongst all the Captains I spoke to as well.

Hi!

this hiring with 251 hours bullsh1t is gotta stop.

Or hiring with 188 hours.

Or with only a PPL and Instrument Rating...no CPL at all.

cliff
GRB

An ATP is really nothing... I think it should be mandatory.

- 1500 hours and 250 PIC ( of course other small things to be met ) ..... but really... 1500 hours? Less than 2 years of instructing could manage that.... what happend to working for something? Some kids just want the rating and think they should have companies knockign down the door. I suppose I would not have been much different at that age though to be honest.

- Some people just need to be patient, flight instruct until they have the ATP mins then take the test instead of insisting to fly a jet with a little over 300 hours total time. Be patient, get some experience and relax. Even at 1500 hours the expereince level is very low. That being said, a 10,000 hour pilot can screw up just as easy.

:)

That being said, a 10,000 hour pilot can screw up just as easy.

:)

The difference is that "most of the time" the 10,000 hour pilot can probably realize he/she screwed up and try to fix it or just ask for help...the low time wonder wannabee has no clue he/she is fcking up which is scary.

Not having ATP should be alright, but I do think pilots should have their minimum time for ATP inorder to fly for an airline though.

Latest resources

Back