Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should an ATP be required for both pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Should a ATP be required to fly for an airline?

• Yes

Votes: 792 83.2%
  • No

Votes: 144 15.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 16 1.7%

• Total voters
The Airline Safety and Pilot Training Improvement Act of 2009

The bill would:
Require that all airline pilots obtain an Airline Transport Pilot license, which is currently only needed by captains. Pilots must have a minimum of 1,500 flight hours to obtain the license. Co-pilots may now be hired at airlines with as little as about 200 hours, though most begin airline work with more experience.
• Mandate that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) within 90 days set up a new database of pilot records so that airlines will have access to more information before they hire someone for the cockpit. The captain of the jet that crashed near Buffalo had failed several FAA-mandated tests of his piloting skills, but his airline did not know about all of them when it hired him.
• Direct the FAA within one year to rewrite the rules for how long pilots can work. Several attempts to rewrite the rules to make piloting less prone to fatigue have failed in recent decades. FAA Administrator Randy Babbitt also has vowed to update the rules.
• Require airlines and travel websites when they sell tickets to disclose the name of the carrier operating the flight. About half of all flights are operated by regional airlines working under contract to major carriers, but those regionals almost never sell tickets directly to passengers. Most of the regional flights are flown with the name of the major carrier painted on their aircraft.
• Set up numerous studies and task forces to examine how best to train pilots, minimize pilot fatigue and run a safe airline.

What would happen at the regionals when a new hiring phase like two years ago occurs?

I hope this passes..... obviously regionals would want some phase-in relief but unintended consequences be dxmned, this is great news for both long term pay and airline safety .

The bill would:
Require that all airline pilots obtain an Airline Transport Pilot license, which is currently only needed by captains. Pilots must have a minimum of 1,500 flight hours to obtain the license. Co-pilots may now be hired at airlines with as little as about 200 hours, though most begin airline work with more experience.
• Mandate that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) within 90 days set up a new database of pilot records so that airlines will have access to more information before they hire someone for the cockpit. The captain of the jet that crashed near Buffalo had failed several FAA-mandated tests of his piloting skills, but his airline did not know about all of them when it hired him.
• Direct the FAA within one year to rewrite the rules for how long pilots can work. Several attempts to rewrite the rules to make piloting less prone to fatigue have failed in recent decades. FAA Administrator Randy Babbitt also has vowed to update the rules.
• Require airlines and travel websites when they sell tickets to disclose the name of the carrier operating the flight. About half of all flights are operated by regional airlines working under contract to major carriers, but those regionals almost never sell tickets directly to passengers. Most of the regional flights are flown with the name of the major carrier painted on their aircraft.
• Set up numerous studies and task forces to examine how best to train pilots, minimize pilot fatigue and run a safe airline.

What would happen at the regionals when a new hiring phase like two years ago occurs?

Say they do pass this bill, you'll have ATP rated pilots that just emptied out there wallets going to make $20,000 a year...Though pilots should be paid way better, the truth of the matter is that the small margins regionals operate on would not allow them to pay pilots any better than they do now. On top of that, come 2012 when all of your age 65 guys retire and the hiring picks way up, this bill will probably just end up being thrown out the window...

Say they do pass this bill, you'll have ATP rated pilots that just emptied out there wallets going to make $20,000 a year...Though pilots should be paid way better, the truth of the matter is that the small margins regionals operate on would not allow them to pay pilots any better than they do now. On top of that, come 2012 when all of your age 65 guys retire and the hiring picks way up, this bill will probably just end up being thrown out the window...

You mean the small margins that they use to buy other airlines with? My regional just posted a 15.3 million dollar profit for the quarter, they can afford the raise.

I say no. I say the FAA should require all airlines to make the ATP mins their hiring mins, and that's it.
This shouldn't be like SWA, wwhere you have to pay for a type or ATP to get a job.
The airlines should be the one forking out the cash for the types and ATP ratings.

No? Then why did I have to shell out for the commercial certificate. Should the airlines have paid for me to get that too? I think many want to avoid the ATP because of significance of the check-ride. IMO failing your ATP ride is a little different than failing your Multi Commercial ride. I think it should be standard. It's and "Airline Transport Pilot" certificate not and "Airline Captain Pilot" certificate.

No? Then why did I have to shell out for the commercial certificate. Should the airlines have paid for me to get that too?

Come on now...the COM is the entry-level qualification that lets you get paid to fly. The ATP, even with these new proposals, isn't a basic entry-level qualification.

I think many want to avoid the ATP because of significance of the check-ride. IMO failing your ATP ride is a little different than failing your Multi Commercial ride.

I think many don't want to make the ATP a prerequisite for hire because of the financial cost of obtaining it yourself...not because of the risk of failure. An ATP ride ain't that damn tough...

If the FAA and airlines were really concerned about improving safety (HA!) they'd fully type every single pilot in the airplane they fly. A full type ride vs. an SIC ride aren't radically different (a no-flap landing and a circling approach IIRC) so the cost wouldn't be much if any greater. And whaddaya know, you can do a joint ATP/type ride because the standards are the same. No additional cost incurred for training & checking but it saves the candidate a substantial sum of money.

Answer: Who cares? The world was a much better place for pilots when the regionals truly were that, no jets more than 50 seats, and those only in tightly scoped numbers. The only benefit RJs really bring is to allow increased frequencies at UNcongested airports. Passengers hate 'em. The mainline jets and jobs they replaced paid better, had better QOL, etc. etc. You really care if Mesa, Pinnacle, GoJets, Republic, etc go T/U? Only if you work at such a place, of course. And to you who do, I am furloughed right now and would not wish it on anyone. Hopefully you'll find something better before any downsizing and it won't be an issue. What you may even find is that they have to improve their T&Cs to get qualified applicants - win/win.

Last edited:
Say they do pass this bill, you'll have ATP rated pilots that just emptied out there wallets going to make $20,000 a year...Though pilots should be paid way better, the truth of the matter is that the small margins regionals operate on would not allow them to pay pilots any better than they do now.

Okay, let's follow your logic, which is not necessarily wrong. In order to get hired at a regional, someone would have to invest a lifetime's worth of savings, and/or spend many years building experience at odd pay-nothing flying jobs, which is the way it used to be done to get an airline job. In the past, people were willing to do this because the airline job paid enough to make it all worth while. This time around, though, fewer people will be willing to do all that to make $20,000 a year. You are correct, regionals in their current form would not have the resources to increase pay significantly enough. What do you think will then happen?

When this passes and regionals eventually need more pilots, they will not be able to attract enough pilots. They will have to cancel flights they can't cover, or not fly new flights they would like to add. Assuming the economy has eventually turned around and demand is actually rising again, ticket prices will rise on the remaining flights. Airlines will have more revenue, and will see demand for additional flights that they don't have pilots to fly. It doesn't take a Nobel-winning economist/rocket scientist to see that payrates will go up--it would be in the airlines' best financial interest.

Unfortunately, I believe we have a long way to go before the economy improves, as well as working through all the furloughees, though.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back