• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Shoes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Try to bend the shoe at the arch. If it bends, it won't beep.

Any shoe you get, make sure the sole is solid. Any change in material (i.e. tread pattern) and you will have wet socks when you preflight after a heavy rain or in 3 inches of snow.

Rockports have worked for me.

Dressports by Rockport, comfortable, durable and airport friendly.

jetpig32 said:
Justin Ropers. Airport friendly. Good, durable pair of sh*t kickers

If you go the Roper route, I too reccomend the Justins. MAKE SURE TO GET THE ALL LEATHER VERSION. (Justin also makes what they call the BASIC version, it is a P.O.S.!! ) The "basic" is about $50, and the all leather is about $100. GET THE ALL LEATHER. You WILL kill youself on the ice or in a puddle of hydraulic fluid/glycol in man-made soles, but leather actually does OK. The Ropers do have a metal shank in them from the factory, but the first time you have them re-soled, have the cobbler take it out. Some cobblers won't want to do it, they say the boot will "break down" too fast, which would probably be true if you were out jogging or dancing in them all the time. They do just great for the tiny bit of walking we do, thru the terminal and around the ramp, and (when de-shanked) they go thru security just fine. The original factory sole won't last terribly long, maybe four or five months of everyday wear. You can probably find a cobbler that will do half-soles for around $30, full soles for around $40. (If you can't, just KEEP LOOKING. I go to a guy who operates out of his house; he does good quality work CHEAP.) I find I need half-soles every 10 months or so, and every second time I just have full soles done. Plus, the other nice thing about boots is that if you run out of black socks, you can go with white, and nobody'll notice.

Last edited:
Dangerkitty said:
If you want to look like a first class tool in uniform go buy a pair of Doc Martins. I find it ironic that many pilots bemoan the fact where the profession is heading only to be strutting in the terminal with their backpack on, listening to their ipod, while wearing Doc Martins.

http://www.dmusastore.com/Catalog_List.asp?category=Mens%3AShoes

You, my friend are the tool. I see about 3 or 4 pairs that are quite professional. I do agree that most Doc's look ridiculious with our uni's, however they have made hundreds of styles over the last few years, they are extremely comfortable, and airport friendy.

thanks for all the great suggestions on shoes... After shopping around, I think the Eccos are the way to go.. The salesman that sold me them said the soles will last much longer (polyurethane sole) and they can get through security. Plus he said all the doctors will recommend this brand for their patients with back problems. Dillards 130 bucks... I think they will be well worth it.

smokey999 said:
http://www.dmusastore.com/Catalog_List.asp?category=Mens%3AShoes

You, my friend are the tool. I see about 3 or 4 pairs that are quite professional. I do agree that most Doc's look ridiculious with our uni's, however they have made hundreds of styles over the last few years, they are extremely comfortable, and airport friendy.

You dont even know me and you call me a tool? OK.

BLing said:
I wore docs for years and had a pair of them when I used to work ramp. They slip like crazy in the snow, ice and glycol. They the worst shoes ever in the winter time. Plus they look gay in uniform.
Dangerkitty said:
If you want to look like a first class tool in uniform go buy a pair of Doc Martins. I find it ironic that many pilots bemoan the fact where the profession is heading only to be strutting in the terminal with their backpack on, listening to their ipod, while wearing Doc Martins.

Umm....the bright yellow ones with the waffle tread was sort of a joke guys. Come on, tweak your sarcasm detectors just a bit. ;)

On the other hand they do have some professional looking shoes and they're comfy. They last forever and I never had any problem with ice or de-ice fluid slippage. For the record they are Dr. Martens, not Martins.

On a side note: BLing, please tell me that's not a self-portrait.

Be safe.

-J

being based in msp I can vouch for the fact that docs are the freaking worst in ice snow and glycol. Don't waist your money and also your feet are always cold and sweaty in them.

Rockport pro walkers work great and are pretty comfortable. Had a hard time finding a pair in black in my size though.

If you're buying Rockports, make sure to look at the holes the laces go through, a lot of Rockports have metal rings around the holes that set off the metal detectors.

Latest resources

Back