shoes and security

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jackofdiamonds

anybody out there know of any good shoes that wont set off the stupid metal detector? I swear if I have to undress one more time I am going to start wearing sandals to work??

Not sure if it was unique to the current "terror alert" [notice the quotes] but flew out of HPN - Westchester NY last week and EVERYONE had to remove their shoes. Is this going to be normal practice everywhere or is it another TSA initiative du jour? Maybe it we become required to go shoeless.

Ecco makes shoes that do not have metal shanks, but are very expensive, $100+. I have Deer Stags, they don't have metal shanks and are considerably cheaper. I paid $40.00 at a shoe outlet and they are comfortable and seem to be holding up ok.

Doc Martens

I have to agree with CL-65link. Docs are the way to go. Once you break them in they are very comfortable. All I had to do was get some black shoestrings and they were spec for the dresscode.

You need to buy Bill Blass shoes. I got them at Today's Man in Paramus, New Jersey (not sure if it is a chain). They only ran about $50. In the last 5 months, I have not ONCE set off the detector with the shoes on....and I have been all over the NorthEast.....LGA, DCA, RDU, BOS, CLE, PWM......not once. I love watching the TSA's face when they think that I am going to set off the detector, and then I blow right by them. HEHE

I bought a pair of ECCO's two months ago for $120 and love them. Yeah they are pricey, but probably the most comfortable shoes I own. Most importantly, since I got them I have not set off a single detector yet (which is easily worth $120 bucks in my book!)

Is it really that hard to take them off, walk through and put the shoes back on? I have Skechers and think they are comfortable. I guess it is just an opinion...

walk through

its not the taking off of the shoes i mind. Its walking through on a wet or snow covered floor that sucks. then having to wear those socks all day long. think about it!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest resources

Back