Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SHHHH this was supposed to be a secret!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At least if you could get some of the newer guys to quit saying "....WITH YOU...." to center it would at least help with the appearance of inexperience.

At least if you could get some of the newer guys to quit saying "....WITH YOU...." to center it would at least help with the appearance of inexperience.
Ha ha, where I operate, that's the least of their worries, they think nothing of completely blocking off their windscreen at 5000 ft in the climb. :eek: What could go wrong? :rolleyes:

Just last month we (the industry) had a new regional capt on a very heavily automated airplane have to make 4 tries to get into an airport.....VFR Wx was clear and 10 miles with light wind and he missed three times before managing to figure out how to get the thing on the ground. The F/O was a newbie.

I think that we are going to start seeing smoking holes unless the industry stops the current hiring practices.

Actually, your not far off the mark. Executing the approach when cleared for a "visual approach" seems to be the most challenging. Most of the new hires and upgrades can fly an ILS or GPS approach, but turn them loose on their own to execute a visual requires planing (3 to 1 rule) and a good approach brief to let the PM know the PF's intentions.

Throw in convective or low IFR weather, fuel management, a possible diversion, and little or no experience as a PIC or new FO...this is what the general public doesn't know.

Fortunately, we don't do NDB appraches anymore. (I thought they were fun and challenging, but I digress). "Back in the day" we had to do them and we trained hard for them, but, wow, I can't imagine... what, trying to explain an RMI and, well, you know what I mean. These guys are task saturated now at 200 KIAS...

A good PM with good situational awareness will recognize when the PF is getting behind, but now, with less experienced crews, we are seeing that both crewmembers are getting behind.

I've seen two CA's blow visual approaches just this this past month because they planned the approach poorly and poorly briefed the PM.

That trend is apparent, and the FAA knows about it. So do the Flight departments. However, this is where we are as an industry. Payscales are so low that not many are interested in a career in aviation after laying out $30K-100K to get a 4 year degree.

The airline I work for is hiring CFI/II's and Commercial Pilots right out of flight schools and college and FBO's. The major carriers will hire from the regionals to get the experience they need, which will continue to strain regional carriers to find competent pilots.

The $$$ carriers are now offshore, and they have some extensive hoops to jump through to get hired. Ask anyone interviewing at Emirates right now and ask them about licence conversion and expat country requirements.

India Operators are looking for US pilots and so is China...but there are strings attached. Be sure to get your shots and take your anti-malaria prophylactic.:erm:

This is the cycle we are in.

T8

Last edited:
T-Prop, not really sure where you're coming from, the vast majority of large European airlines have cadet programs in place, they work well, Air Lingus, BA, Qantas. I could be wrong but I think BA's CEO is a former cadet. Take it from the poster below, there is fierce competition to be accepted into the program from the beginning, maybe similar to military aviation training?

Please tell me how much you know about the flying over here. :rolleyes: By the way, in the program here, they are not allowed to move to the left seat until they are 34 years old, by that time they have about ten years of experience,

It's funny you mention that, last month I was flying along and noticed the FO gettting all giddy, I asked him what was up, he told me he had never been to FL390 before, on another flight the FO saw me go through the QRH to do some balancing, he had never seen anyone balance fuel before!

Ha ha, where I operate, that's the least of their worries, they think nothing of completely blocking off their windscreen at 5000 ft in the climb. :eek: What could go wrong?

Make up your mind.

I think you made my ab initio and low-time argument for me... Thanks.

You praise the effectiveness if the program and you turn around and tell us how weak your FO's are.

a WTF?!?! is in order

Last edited:
Say Again,

Regardless, of how much training your company gives an ab initio whiz kid, or how long they sit right seat, they will never have 1/5 the knowledge and experience you had before you started sitting in the left seat of an A320.

Last edited:
What regionals have ASAP? I'd think that would be a just a few....

Which regionals training is under an FAA approved AQP program?

Let me know when you give up on this brain teaser...... cause I think there is still only one.

Last edited:
If these guys would quit saying ".....with you...." to ATC, at least they'd SOUND more experienced.

Which regionals training is under an FAA approved AQP program?

Let me know when you give up on this brain teaser...... cause I think there is still only one.

"We’re [Piedmont] the only regional that trains
pilots using AQP (Advanced Qualification Program). It is labor intensive and it’s expensive, but it’s a better program. It gives us a tremendous amount of clout with the FAA."

Do they really expect anyone to believe that it isn't the cheapest way they can get pilots through training? Explain to me how having less classroom and sim time equates to more expensive.

Latest resources

Back