Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Serengeti

typhoonpilot said:
I would take a good look at the Seregenti Aviator's or any other Serengeti with the same lense. I have been using them since 1986 and haven't found anything that comes close. You can find them on eBay for around $50.00. I use the medium aviator as I find the large just too big.

Typhoonpilot

SOme days the Serengeti's can make the diference between seeing somthing (like another a/c) and not. Wouldn't fly without them.

Revos are nice but polarized. The reason why many don't wear poalarided besides the windscreen is that anyone in a glass cockpit cannot wear them. Seems that the LCD displays of modern a/c are on the same wavelength as the polarization. And when your head it turned a certain direction the screens go blank.

Try it with you cell phone. Put said polarized glasses on. Hold Cell at 45 degrees (in you right hand, 2 o'clock) not turn the cell phone and watch it go blank. Neat stuff.

Might want to stay away from polarized if seaplanes are in your future.

Sure, polarized cut down the glare, but sometimes glare is good: like when judging your height above water.

A few years back, I was told there are 2 things you do want to invest in if you're going down this road. Sunglasses and Luggage.

I only agree with the luggage part. Get some cheap sunglasses, because you're gonna lose 'em or they'll get smashed up in a flight bag.

Well little feedback on the sunglass hunt, I went into the local sunglasses store, I tried on many different pair of glasses.

The oakleys, I really didn't like how they fit my head, so I am not going to go with them.

I actually liked the SERENGETI'S the best. But I DON'T like the Aviators because they are just too big on my face. Instead, the "Drivers" series I really like. The specific model that I really like was:

Prato
http://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/drivers/drivers_3.htm

But after trying these on, I have a couple concerns..

1.) The Prato's have a frame on the sides "bow" out and I think this might cause a problem with my headset? What do you guys think?

2.) Since the Prato is a member of the "Drivers" series of lenses, they DON'T have the "Drivers Gradient" like the Aviator's have. Instead the lens is the same shade the whole way through. As compared to the Aviator's where the top of the lens is darker and the bottom of the lens is lighter thus allowing you to see instruments clearer. So do you guys think that this will be a problem going with the Prato and not having a Gradient lens?

PS.. I tried on some of the polarized ones and looked at my cell phone's screen, wow, that's NOT a good thing!

my $15 dollar "ray-bans" that i bought in the carribbean 5 years ago are working just fine still, though i also have a pair of i think ralph lauren's that are prescription. one thing i would recommend is making sure that you dont get too dark of a shade. my prescription ones are REALLY dark compared to the cheapy ones, and when there are shadows in the cockpit, its tough to see the instrument panel etc.

what do you guys think about the earpiece of like the Randolphs versus something like the Serengeti Aviators?

do you think that the Randolphs will fit much nicer and more comfortable under a headset?

How abuot the quality of the lenses between these two?

I have read that the Randolphs are the USAF standard issue sunglasses for all the pilots, and there must be a reason for it, so I am wondering what is the better choice out of the two?

You don't have to buy super-expensive glasses, but make sure to get ones that have UV protection which usually rules out the very cheap kind which are worse than not wearing sunglasses at all. Spend the $$ to ensure this, because dark lenses that dilate your pupil but don't at the same time filter UV aren't good for your eyeballs. There's a reason why your pupils turn into a tiny pinholes in the sun.

UV protection isn't the same thing as "polarized". Get UV protection but avoid polarized lenses for the reasons stated by others.

The "brown" shades of lenses are superior to the "Gray" shades where you need clarity most; in hazy, lower light conditions.

If looking cool is of primary importance, then don't buy sunglasses at all, but rather, get an eye patch. They're the coolest.

best all around sunglasses IMHO

Nike Interchangeable sunglasses = great lightweight sunglasses for flying that completely wrap around the eye socket and are great for any outdoor activity (especially sports). They come with grey and orange lenses, and you can purchase other shades to interchange. I bought the brown tinted lenses and use those mostly, then pop in the orange lenses when its overcast/late in the day. You can buy the main frame and inital lenses for $100 at Sunglass Hut or www.ejsunglasses.com and ejs sells all the different color lenses for $20 poloroid $60.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back