• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Share your thoughts on Flying Sunglasses

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The best shades I have ever owned are the Armani dark straights that can be bought at any Sunglass Hut at the mall or one of the better stores there depending on your region. It is a well spent $130.00 and they are marked down every once in awhile. I have tried many pairs and these are the best in my opinion.

3 5 0

Action Optics, extremely clear, several colors lens choices, and the best pair of shade i've ever used for flying, fishing, driving, anything...i recomend the glass lenses, but they do make a polycarbonate lens...

jmmccutc

Last edited:
Serengeti

I would take a good look at the Seregenti Aviator's or any other Serengeti with the same lense. I have been using them since 1986 and haven't found anything that comes close. You can find them on eBay for around $50.00. I use the medium aviator as I find the large just too big.

Typhoonpilot

Oakley's

I used to use Serengeti's too, as the lens color gave contrast and color differentiation like I never believed possible. You have not seen clouds until you look at them through a pair of these. If you are a staunch Ray Ban G-15 guy (I owned about 6 pairs of those), you are missing out on a great view of the world! About 2 years ago, one lens fell out of my Serengeti Aviators and broke, and I got a different Serengeti style. They were a smaller, more "stylish" lens which unfortunately allowed quite a bit of light to bleed around, over and under them, which translated into them seeming to be not dark enough at altitude. The lens color was the same, they just gave less coverage. It's a big deal.

I did some research and ended up with my current pair, Oakley Straight Jackets with Gold Iridium lenses. They wrap around your eye to keep light from coming in the backdoor, the lens color is about as perfect as the Serengeti's (only a little darker, which I like) and the matte black finish of the frame eliminates the annoying glare you can get off a shiny frame when the sun is at your side. If you wear contacts, they also give great wind protection. They are harder to use with headsets than Serengeti's though.

If you get a chance, stop into an Oakley Store at the mall. They had reprints of two "articles" from Private Pilot Magazine last year and the year before. In them, they did various tests on all major brands of sunglasses, and published the results. I don't know if the "articles" were real or not - I don't subscribe to Private Pilot - but they were on display in their store and very telling if true. Of the two articles, the most recent was a test of visual distortion that various sunglasses give. After you read it, you'll probably think twice about buying the 2 Pairs for $10 sunglasses at the mall kiosk.

Polarized lenses, from my experience, are only a problem if you fly anything with a heated windshield or have to look at an LCD screen. If you were fishing, I'd say go for them. For flying, why pay for it?

Take this decision seriously! As a pilot, your vision is about the single most critical tool you have. As for a fear of losing/breaking expensive sunglasses, don't worry. When I pay $100 for a pair, I take care of them. You will too.

Thanks guys for all the great info and recommendations.. I really like to hear everybodies thoughts. About the money thing, I agree with some of the posters that eyes are very very important and I will spend the extra money on a GOOD pair of sunglasses becauase I know they will protect me....

Just a few questions...

1.) It seems that some recommend POLARIZED and some don't. I know Polarized lenses are more expensive than Iridium lenses, but I really don't know waht they do for you? Can somebody explain the difference and uses from polarized versus iridium lenses?

2.) The lens color also seems to be another big factor when buying a good set of flying sunglasses. One person said NOT to get Blue or Green lenses because they make the White airplanes blend into the clouds and sky. Well I was wondering what exactly is the BEST color lenses to get for flying? Should I go with Gold, Fire, etc? And what do the different colors do for you? like what are the uses of them?

3.) Should you get a pair of lenses that have more or less light transmission? and should they be a Neutral Transmission or an Increased Contract transmission?

4.) being a new Pilot and not having much experience up there yet, is the sun much much stronger while flying? and can it actually damage your eyes without wearing sunglasses? I am just wondering how much stronger the sun is between 5-10K feet versus at ground level?

Thanks again guys.. I appreciate all the helpful advice and feedback!

Last edited:
Good questions! In order:

1) As far as I know, polarized lenses cut reflected glare, i.e. from water, snow, or cowlings. They do help somewhat with that, but the drawbacks in flying are what has already been stated: Can't see through heated windshields, can't read some LCD screens. I do think there is a reg against using them, but I'm not positive. I used a pair once, flying freight, and they were a huge pain in the a$$ when compared to other good types. So, since they are a pain in the a$$ in certain situations, I can't think of a good reason to pay extra for the priviledge. MHO.

2 and 3) Get a lens color that enhances contrast/color, like the Serengeti or the Oakley Gold Iridium (i.e. brown-ish colored lenses). The Fire lens may be good too, (not sure though) but I think it allows more light through and would not be dark enough for me. Try them out. Have the sales girl walk outside with you while you compare them directly to each other, looking at clouds and sky. Hold them up to the sky, next to each other. The Ray Ban G-15, while a standard for decades, tends to flatten objects and diminish contrast in comparison. You don't want that. As a funny example, I went looking at a used car to buy once, back when I had my Serengeti's. It was a silver car, and the whole rear end of the car was a different color than the front WHEN I HAD THE SUNGLASSES ON! Without them, the colors were identical, and the casual observer would never known the car had been severely rear-ended at some point in its life. I asked the seller to explain it (he was the first and only owner), but he still pleaded ignorance until I made him put on my shades and look for himself. He quickly 'fessed up! I had my old backup pair of Ray Bans in my glovebox and tried them. The car looked fine! I was amazed. Serengeti's to the rescue!

It's a balance between being dark enough and too dark to wear when cloudy. I think being able to wear them even when it's overcast (not dark overcast) is a great advantage because it really does make your depth perception and color discrimmination better. Translation: clouds, traffic and terrrain take on a whole new life. So does Autumn.

4) Yes, altitude makes a big difference. It's not too noticable at low altitudes, i.e. 5-10K ft, but it is still there - just to a lesser degree. In the Air Force they issued Randolphs, which seemed OK until you noticed guys walking around with sunburned eyes after flying big jets all day. Nobody really made the connection back then, nor did I because I didn't know any better. Now I do, so I'll happily pass on my experience to anyone who asks! BTW, I still have my issue pair of Randolphs, and I still wear them on occasion (not flying) when I want a different look. Just a nostalgia thing I guess.

OK, one last item. Not a factor for you yet, but maybe in the future: If you plan on pulling any serious G's, find something lightweight or has good ear hooks. Nothing worse when maneuvering hard than to have your shades go sliding off your sweaty head and nose. Don't worry about it now, that'll be for later...

Do not buy Polarized. It will not allow vision through the plastic covers on instruments and windshield. I will try and find the various resources and articles that explain why it is bad to have Polorized lenses. If you now own a pair, OK for driving but bad for flying.

thanks for the replies guys.. very helpful.

Yeah I was searching online and also found that it's a bad idea to go polarized for flying... that's fine with me.. less money to spend, lol.

Yeah I think I will go with the Oakley Square Wire 2.0's in either Gold or Fire lenses. I have to try them on and see how they feel.

I am a bit concerned with them being uncomfortable wearing a headset because the other day while flying, I had my cheapy sunglasses on, and wow, that headset just dug those earpieces right into my scalp... ouch!

I am sure the Serengeti's are good, but they are just too big for my taste. I also want these sunglasses for regular use to go out with and go boating with etc... I just think I will look funny in the Serengeti's!

Just hope the Oakleys are big enough!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back