• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SFB - Delta Academy...taxi lessons?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey brokeflyer, you sounds like one of the funnest people to fly with. I'd love to spend a 4 day trip with ya (NOT)!

Yeah SFB and DAB routinely use taxiways as bi-directional taxiways for small GA a/c to keep traffic moving. BTW, what is there to hit with a wingtip anyway when your wings don't even go off the side of the taxi way? Don't sweat the small stuff big fella...

Hey brokeflyer, you sounds like one of the funnest people to fly with. I'd love to spend a 4 day trip with ya (NOT)!

Yeah SFB and DAB routinely use taxiways as bi-directional taxiways for small GA a/c to keep traffic moving. BTW, what is there to hit with a wingtip anyway when your wings don't even go off the side of the taxi way? Don't sweat the small stuff big fella...

im a blast to fly with as long as you are safe......but you'd have a long way to go before you have to worry abouyt 4 days with me. That's what shouldn't be sweated.

once you become stupid then I'll re-educate you.

and the answer to second part of your question will only be known by the FAA inspector that askes you what your descion making process was captain.

When you become a PIC you'll sweat the small stuff kid. That's the stuff that gets you violated.

any other questions?

Last edited:
I disagree with the post made by another NetJets pilot.

I will agree that the hazard level increases when conducting passing operations on airport taxiways, but in my opinion it is not an unsafe operation in most cases when light GA aircraft are involved.

The light GA aircraft involved have great visibility, they can easily see where their wingtip is from the cockpit at all times. In addition, because of the smaller wingspan, they can use the centerline of the taxiway as a "no transgression zone" which provides another indication that their wingtip will not contact another aircraft. Airports are designed for a "critical aircraft" which is usually much bigger than the average light aircraft. All the taxiway pavement, obstacle free zones, etc, is bases on the larger wingspan aircraft, giving smaller wingspan aircraft much more room to operate safely within. Due to all of the above characteristics, the increased hazard of being off the centerline is very small for light GA aircraft, and usually acceptable.

I have conducted two airplanes on the same runway takeoff, and three airplanes landing on the same runway at the same time, with the FAA's blessing. This was during the Sun N Fun fly in, and I was following the standard FAA procedures for these events. These operations are even more extreme than the routine taxiway passing operations that occur at some airports on a routine basis.

That said, I would not attempt these procedures in a 50' wingspan corporate jet, as the characteristics that allow me to conduct safe passing operations in the smaller aircraft do not exist in a Citation jet. As such, I would not accept any ATC instruction to have me attempt this. I would also protest if I was told to just stop on the taxiway and allow another aircraft to attempt a taxiway passing that could place my aircraft in jeopardy as well.

Finally, as we all know from our student pilot days, just because you are on a taxiway centerline does not mean you are clear of all obstructions. I did a trip a couple of days ago (out of SFB) and the small airport where we landed minimum room for a citation jet, and our wingtip hung over the only center line for the ramp. The best we could due (because of ramp space and no aircraft tug at the airport to push the plane (except the wheelbase) into the grass) was to place a couple of traffic cones near the protruding wingtip to try and alert other aircraft to the hazard.

I feel that taxiway passing operations are fine for smaller aircraft, due to the nature of those aircraft. The same operation is too hazardous for larger wingspan aircraft.

any other questions?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, when are you going to post your W2?

I have 1099's, netjets ain't even close to the top of the pile for pay.

I didn't think so...

deleted

any other questions?

Yeah, when are you going to post your W2?

I have 1099's, netjets ain't even close to the top of the pile for pay.

I didn't think so...[/QUOTE]

when you sign for the plane then you can comment.

I'll keep my wingtips and the decisions.

Man, I can be a little dramatic but you make me look like Spock.

Latest resources

Back