• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SF340 Mesaba in ATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you really credit Delta into thinking that far ahead about replacing and aircraft knowing its capabilities?

If the bean counters retained an entire fleet type to accommodate service into one seasonal airport they should be strung up by their toes. Somehow though many pilots seem to think this is a good idea (thankfully pilots don't run airlines). I heard the same cries from pilots when XJ pulled the Avro out of service and Aspen was left without a viable airplane.

Guess what??? Northwest's entire route network was not built around Aspen during ski season. Likewise, Delta's entire network is not built around Hilton Head during golf season. Putting specialized equipment into the fleet just to accommodate special use airports like these is fiscal suicide.

If the bean counters retained an entire fleet type to accommodate service into one seasonal airport they should be strung up by their toes. Somehow though many pilots seem to think this is a good idea (thankfully pilots don't run airlines). I heard the same cries from pilots when XJ pulled the Avro out of service and Aspen was left without a viable airplane.

Guess what??? Northwest's entire route network was not built around Aspen during ski season. Likewise, Delta's entire network is not built around Hilton Head during golf season. Putting specialized equipment into the fleet just to accommodate special use airports like these is fiscal suicide.

That's true...but it is also true that I am now flying to a dozen former ATR cities while burning almost twice as much fuel and taking 16 fewer people...block times aren't that much different...

Putting a less capable airplane on routes that made good use of that capability is also fiscal suicide...

That's true...but it is also true that I am now flying to a dozen former ATR cities while burning almost twice as much fuel and taking 16 fewer people...block times aren't that much different...

Apparently heavy maintenance flights combined with the ATR frequently breaking down would have ate up the fuel saving very quickly....

Does the Saab really burn that much more gas vs. seats? What is the burn plan vs. the ATR?

Does the Saab really burn that much more gas vs. seats? What is the burn plan vs. the ATR?

I wasn't comparing the ATR vs. the Saab...I was referring to the former ATR routes I now fly in 200...burning a lot more fuel and taking 16 fewer people....

Latest resources

Back