SF340 Mesaba in ATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Marinedog

I was wondering if anyone knows why on Detanet it shows the SF340 having only 18 seats? I'm trying to get an idea on the loads for a flight but something doesn't seem right....Can someone who has been on one of the SAAB's in ALT let me know...The SAAB I used to fly had more seats than that.....

You're going to Hilton Head right? Weight restricted for the tiny runway there. Check a TRI flight I bet it'll have more seats open.

I was wondering if anyone knows why on Detanet it shows the SF340 having only 18 seats? I'm trying to get an idea on the loads for a flight but something doesn't seem right....Can someone who has been on one of the SAAB's in ALT let me know...The SAAB I used to fly had more seats than that.....

The Mesaba Saabs (B+ Models) have 34 seats. ATL to HHH (Hilton Head Island) is usualy weight restricted to around 24 pax due to the 4000 ft landing distance in HHH. With the new weight and balance system, an ATL to TRI (Tri Cities, TN) flight should be able to carry around 30 to 32 pax depending on if an alternate airport is needed. If extra fuel is needed, we can usually carry 27-30 pax. Hope this helps.

An XJ Saab has never been known to be able to leave without seats open. ;)

It is frustrating at times for sure. Back in the day....I I've actually seen a full load (34 pax plus a jumpseater in the front) This was before the FAA raised the standard weights a few years back. Now we are lucky if we can carry 30. There was talk a while back with Saab of raising the GTOW to 29500 or 30000 pounds from the current 29000 lbs.
For now though...we'll be pushing back from the gate with 5 open seats, 2 sad non-revers and a piss*ed off jumpseater. Welcome to the Saab.

Just like a 9E 200 is restricted to 48 pax on most flights and can't carry a jumpseater in the flightdeck.

The problem with the SAAB's (other than the FAA mandated pax weights) is that the gate agents are in charge of the loads. The Saab can operate off a 4000 foot strip any day of the week, I did it in CYKF all the time (fully loaded). You might have do a flaps 15, method A (holding brakes) takeoff, which will increase you effective load, but it'll do it. The agents don't take this into consideration, nor do they count half weights most of the time.

Good thing Delta got rid of all those darn ATR's, huh!

Do you really credit Delta into thinking that far ahead about replacing and aircraft knowing its capabilities? Delta originally wanted EV to send CRJ-700s in there thinking it would be no problem. The people who make these decisions do not fly airplanes or know too much about them.

Latest resources

Back