• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SF340 Mesaba in ATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just like a 9E 200 is restricted to 48 pax on most flights and can't carry a jumpseater in the flightdeck.

The problem with the SAAB's (other than the FAA mandated pax weights) is that the gate agents are in charge of the loads. The Saab can operate off a 4000 foot strip any day of the week, I did it in CYKF all the time (fully loaded). You might have do a flaps 15, method A (holding brakes) takeoff, which will increase you effective load, but it'll do it. The agents don't take this into consideration, nor do they count half weights most of the time.

Luckily with the new system the crew has a little more say in the matter. Just the other day we were able to get a non-rev out of HHH when the gate agent was saying no. We had to count the 2 half weights on board and the non-rev put us right at max t/o weight, but it worked.

Is that a NWA thing? At ASA, the crew always determines the load....why would the gate do it?

i saw a DAL painted Saab in MEM the other day. thats the first one ive seen painted, how many have been painted thus far?

damn. DTW_TRI in a Saab? hope I never have to DH on that.
That is one of the longer flights on the Saab. DTW-ROA is a long one as well. Especially with a strong headwind. The new seats do help with the comfort level a little bit. But anything over 2 hours in a small airplane gets to be a little much. I guess the only question is: Do you want turboprop service or no service at all? Answer: The Saab serves a purpose and is serving it quite well. The 200's will be parked well before an efficient turbo-prop.

Latest resources

Back