• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Settle a bet...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ANG is a great way to do things- tons of great contacts to help you get a job and as long as you stay in, a great place to retreat to when you get furloughed (as the majority of pilots will have happen at least once in their career). I know a lot of guys who are very grateful they took this path (on furlough currently). As far as getting hired by a good company- it is like the others have said. When there are jobs available the military background seems to be a great foot in the door, but now things aren't happening for almost anyone, no matter what their background is.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. I can see ANG helping if you already have time in 135 or 121, but coming straight out of a CFI job into ANG with 500tt (600tt after flt training?) and expecting a good 121 gig seemed a bit optimistic to me.

exactly.. with a good company, TT really doesn't matter, it's the PIC time that matters. you'll need 1000 TPIC minimum, before that, it really doesn't matter... except for a few good carriers here or there that are less strict on PIC time and you rock the interview. good luck-

Over a dozen posts and this has yet to degrade into a civilian vs military debate? Come on fellas. I expect more.

Tanker Clown did his job. Ball is in your court Instructor Dude and/or SWAFO.

The only company where my lack of total time was an issue when applying was AirTran. Their response at a job fair was maybe you can get some time at a regional than reapply (which I chuckled at and applied at every other major carrier). No other company that I applied had an issue with it because all my time was jet PIC. 1800 jet or turbine PIC was generally about the same with the people in my hire class, regardless of whether they were military (fighter or heavy) or civilian. I've been very glad to have the reserve (or guard) as a backup, especially since furloughs and mergers are very prevalent these days.

In todays environment? I'd like to think not. There are 1,000's of super qualified, seasoned professionals that would be far superior to a 1,000 to 2,000 total time hero.

My uncle, a retired AA pilot once told me that all the hours in the world won't turn a bad pilot into a good pilot. They just make him an experienced (seasoned) bad pilot.

1000-2000 is plenty for a military pilot.

One of my friends who is losing his full time ANG F-16 job, seems to be under the impression that as soon as SWA starts hiring, he just needs to show up to interview with a 737 type and get handed a job.

He has very little civ aviation experience, and while I hope that he can get on there when they hire, I am just afraid it is more than just the formality that he thinks it is

Good for air tran... I say that with full respect- you can chuckle bc you have the military hookups- but if performance and attitude are actually important to an airline - I'd require fighter guys to get some regional 121 time as well.

That said- if you can get military experience and serve your country at the same time- why would you not. As was pointed out- ANG is a great fallback- the best of all worlds would be to join that unit and be able to have another job to build time- plenty of pilots in the regionals who fill this bill-

and if you want to talk qualified- a 121 rj or tp capt/ang fighter pilot- that will impress any pilot, much less a recruiter.

Latest resources

Back