Set Your DVRs MON: "Today", "Early Show," & "GMA"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just saw the video...

these guys just dead sticked a freakin' airbus into the water...and everyone lived. dude....dude...seriously. i've woken up in a cold sweat having dreams that weren't even close to as scary as than that!

Mookie... 3200', both engines dead. La Guardia and Teterboro too far away... need a landing area within 10 miles, day, VFR... big river....???

Not taking anything away from this crew... but if day, VFR, mid-town Manhattan with a calm body of water and a few hundred yards to shore is your worst nightmare??? How about same situation... but night, storming, low vis, mid-Atlantic with nearest rescue boats 12+ hours away? How about a dual engine failure over the polar? Same crew, different circumstances.... I feel very safe in saying the outcome would have been drastically different in either of the two examples I presented above.

Excellent job for this crew, this day. A "miracle"... sorry, but don't buy it. It was the result of many years of experience and an excellent crew working their craft. No doubt they did a fine job and am very happy we have a crew to admire... until they are burdened with all the court testifying and lawsuits from survivors trying to cash in.

Fact is... within a very short time period... guessing maybe 20 seconds or so... the flight crew assessed the dual engine failure, began to establish a best glide speed and rapidly calculated the limited glide distance available. With La Guardia and Teterboro removed, the options of Hudson or crowded neighborhoods became clearer. Great choice and execution by the entire crew for this very successful outcome. 30 minutes later on a transatlantic and the outcome might be entirely different with the exact same crew.

BBB

Considering Sully's CRM qualifications I would hope that not only is his entire crew on, but that they are allowed to speak without question as to the responsibilities of each position, so once and for all the public get EDUCATED on the industry. This is a once on a lifetime chance for them to make a difference and potentially change the value of the profession again.
Wow....you can actually say something intelligent. couldn't agree more. Nice post!

I really really hope he shows up with his FO and crew. If he doesn't show up with them and has his uniform on, I'll be very disappointed. We'll see...........

He had been scheduled to give his first public interview on Monday morning to NBC "Today" show host Matt Lauer, but the appearance was canceled Sunday at the request of the U.S. Airline Pilots Association.

Stephen Bradford, president of the pilots association, which represents the pilots on Flight 1549, said he had asked Sullenberger not to engage in any media activities for the time being. He said this was because the pilots association has "interested party" status with the NTSB which allows it to participate in the investigation.

"If the NTSB perceives that we are in any way compromising the objectivity of the investigation by innocuously releasing information to the media, our status will be rescinded and we will be unable to help determine the causal factors leading up to this very positive and well-documented outcome," he said.

Sullenberger released a statement through a family spokesperson, Alex Clemens, saying the family was deferring to the advice of the pilots association. "The Sullenbergers continue to thank their many well-wishers for the incredible outpouring of support," the statement said.

He had been scheduled to give his first public interview on Monday morning to NBC "Today" show host Matt Lauer, but the appearance was canceled Sunday at the request of the U.S. Airline Pilots Association.
Stephen Bradford, president of the pilots association, which represents the pilots on Flight 1549, said he had asked Sullenberger not to engage in any media activities for the time being. He said this was because the pilots association has "interested party" status with the NTSB which allows it to participate in the investigation.
"If the NTSB perceives that we are in any way compromising the objectivity of the investigation by innocuously releasing information to the media, our status will be rescinded and we will be unable to help determine the causal factors leading up to this very positive and well-documented outcome," he said.

From the AP this afternoon.

USAPA could always sue Sully. Seham's probably working up the papers as we speak.

Poor USAPA (Under Sea Airline Pilot's Association) they can't get no respect from anyone including the NTSB who probably never heard of them. They don't keep tabs on what goes on in the back of vans.

NTSB would welcome ALPA's participation. Always have - always will.

He got junior manned.

I heard USAPA totally dropped the ball on this one. And with Sully's previous ALPA experience, they came and offerred help.

Latest resources

Back