September :Atlas Class Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mike15601

I was offered a F/O position on the 200 for September. After one year, can you bid over to the 400 as a F/O if a vacancy exists? I seem to remember Captain Mike Bryant(Atlas Chief Pilot) saying you could during the interview for that particular scenario. Any insiders have the scoop? Thanks, Mike

You one of those Gucci boys that has to be on the 400 as a status symbol?! :)

One year on the Polar side until you can bid the 400 (Subject to change as the need arises) I think Atlas is the same though. Upgrade will be on the 200 first anyhow. From what I have seen, most of the guys try to fly the 200 some as an F/O before trying to upgrade. There is a fairly high bust rate on the 400 guys trying to go to Capt. on the 200 with no time in it from what I hear. However I am a newbie myself and only have a few months with the company so I am going on what I have heard and seen so far.

Atlas types all F/O's though, no matter which plane you are on. The classics are mostly hand flown, while the 400 is mostly an excercise in programming. Not that you cannot use the autopilot in the 200's........they are just old and do not work all that well anymore unless you are straight and level!! :)

KeroseneSnorter said:
Upgrade will be on the 200 first anyhow. From what I have seen, most of the guys try to fly the 200 some as an F/O before trying to upgrade. There is a fairly high bust rate on the 400 guys trying to go to Capt. on the 200 with no time in it from what I hear. However I am a newbie myself and only have a few months with the company so I am going on what I have heard and seen so far.

I just had this conversation with a friend of mine who has been at Polar for a little over a year, and he does in fact have an opportunity to move to the 400. he also backs up what you said about 400 FO's trying to do upgrade on the 200 and they have a high bust rate.

In the end, I wonder why you'd want to move over to the 400 when you could stay on the 200 and upgrade sooner...

>>>You one of those Gucci boys that has to be on the 400 as a status symbol?! :)<<<
LOL, not at all. I have over 13 years in glass airplanes. (8000 + hours) F100, Airbus, CRJ, Emb 170. Just drawn to my comfort zone. Interview with Atlas was an overall very good experience. What a great group of people. Flew the 200 sim raw data for the evaluation. When all was said and done I thought...not bad, just like the old days on the 737.(steam gauge 200's,300/400's) It looks like one up front except there are four throttles and a F/E panel. I will fly anything and figure on getting the seniority number as soon as possable. (Big lesson learned from my present airline!) After 16 years in the domestic airline business I am looking forward to seeing things from a different angle. Thanks for ther reply, Mike

Last edited:
The 200 is a good bird, never underestimate how much the F/E does.....especially the Polar and Atlas guy/gals. All are PFE's and most have much more time in the 747 than the Captains do. I am still getting used to how much they do, in an emergency as an F/O you pretty much either talk on the radio, or fly the plane, the F/E deals with everything else. You have to learn the panel to be able to do the job in case the F/E is incipacitated, but in the day to day flying other than plotting the course, and shooting an approach, I feel pretty lazy compared to a two man airplane! :)

Guys who fly FO on the Classic, don't fully appeciate the FE, until they go to the -400 and actually have to work. All and all both planes are AWESOME!:D

Last edited:
The 747 is a three person airplane. Why would you want to fly it with only two people???

As a 74 FO I gotta say, I have a ton of respect and appreciation for the FE's. As far as knowing what it is they're doing back there, well, it hurts my neck but I try!

If you thinking about the -400 as a junior crewmember, remember that you'll be a bunkie and rarely get landings or stick time, since flights over 8 hours need 3 pilots.

On the other hand, the -200 flies with a basic crew (12 hours) almost always, so the FO flies every other leg of the trip, even if they're junior.

Draginass said:
If you thinking about the -400 as a junior crewmember, remember that you'll be a bunkie and rarely get landings or stick time, since flights over 8 hours need 3 pilots.

On the other hand, the -200 flies with a basic crew (12 hours) almost always, so the FO flies every other leg of the trip, even if they're junior.

So lets see....new airplanes, glass cockpit, a few walk arounds, more sleep (in a bed being paid) and less work

or.....

old airplanes, steam gages, no walk arounds but a couple more landings, less sleep and sitting in the same seat for up to 12 hours.

I know what I would do.

Any word if they will be conducting more interviews? I am still hoping for a shot this year!

Latest resources

Back