• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Seniority has everything to do with longevity

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We should have a system that allows us to keep our longevity throughout career changes-it can be done-
starting completely over at the bottom like a kid out of college everytime we change companies is easily the stupidest thing we do industry wide. Never mind the predictable seniority battles that happen everytime a merger happens-
but seniority never equals longevity. When American hires again there will be over 10 years difference between the most junior pilot and the new hire- yet their seniority is practically identical. The reward for longevity is better pay/ vacation etc. It doesn't automatically grant you bidding power.
Seniority equals the number of people below you. It sucks to be at an airline where 10 years still finds you at the bottom of the list- even worse, when 5 years got you good seniority, but then your airline shrinks and 15 years gets you junior status- but it doesn't change anything in a merger.
No matter how long you've worked at a place- if you find yourself at the bottom, it's a risky place to be and you ought to be checking your options and preparing yourself for furloughs and the possibility that a merger could be bad for you.
That being said- alpa merger policy is way too vague and guarantees battles.

Last edited:
Republicans are ignorant hypocrites. No way dems view of the world is more twisted than republicans.

Well you certainly don't vote republican bc you're a greedy pilot- republicans love stealing money from pilots more than any of the other work forces they rape

Without going into the politics I'd like to add my two cents on seniority. It's not a terrible thing, actually. It's just that the problem happened way in the beginning, when the knuckleheads that started ALPA decided not to act like a real union and create a systemwide seniority list. Those morons created the situation we are in now, with the have's and have nots. Anyone who has worked for a failed carrier (or five) can tell you what that's like. Flushing your experience down the toilet from any one of a number of airlines is really insane. How to fix it? It won't get fixed.

There is no inertia anywhere at ALPA or elsewhere to look at this problem. It can be fixed, there are simple solutions and mechanisms that can be devised so as to alleviate disruptions in career expectations, but whatever. I know I personally have been swept under the carpet, just like many of my esteemed colleagues from all of the other fine carriers that were felled by incompetence, greed, and hubris.

One final thought, though. I believe that your seniority at Skywest, Cape Air, or Delta is of equivalent value. If Delta bought any one of those carriers, or there was a merger, I believe that your seniority should be weighted based on accepted standards, I don't care if it's a 402 you flew or a 744. A professional airline pilot is a professional airline pilot.

Anybody who disagrees with this hard fact has a real twisted way of spinning things for their own personal gain. Even the airline bases everything on your longevity. Only some greedy, self-serving pilots seem to disagree. Pilots are there own worst enemy. That is why so many Pliots vote republican. Somethings just do not make sense.

My condolences to all Midwest pilots that have had their jobs and seniority ripped away from them by republic pilots. Eats dog eat dog and I blame ALPA for their shortsightedness.

M

Hi doosh:
What about the 19 yr hire date f/o from AAA who only had 9 on the property?
I guess your east coast manlove is SOL!

The dems sure stole money from my grandkids.....but I guess they don't count because they are not even born yet!!!!

wait until they unveil the great health care wealth transferrance when we all have to pay to subsidize the uninsured - classic Democrat welfare

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back