• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Seniority dispute ends at US Airways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You don't have a case! Listen to what Seham says, listed to what the 9th says, listen to what Parker says in the crew news sessions! Your case is finished, over, kaput, done! Im not going to debate this with you but I find it interesting how a bunch of you west pilots come on this wild west rules forum and post all this garbage and NOBODY else even reads the threads, let alone agrees with your side. The only people agreeing with you are your fellow westies!

12,000 hits. Yup, nobody reads the threads.

Nope, I dont listen to your lawyer. I don't bow down to your great leader either or kiss his ring. He can kiss my a##!

You don't have a case! Listen to what Seham says, listed to what the 9th says, listen to what Parker says in the crew news sessions! Your case is finished, over, kaput, done! Im not going to debate this with you but I find it interesting how a bunch of you west pilots come on this wild west rules forum and post all this garbage and NOBODY else even reads the threads, let alone agrees with your side. The only people agreeing with you are your fellow westies!

This confirms the fool you are. Then again, every post you write confirms it.

Parched coffers (View from the East, pack your bags, USAPA)

“This "anti-raid" clause will strengthen our support against any organization who might seek to dislodge your union for nefarious purposes, including the well-known efforts by the previous bargaining agent who is distraught that your dues money no longer fills their parched coffers.”
-USAPA President Mike Cleary

There is nothing like reading a Labor Day message from a union president filled with fear that a competitive organization will use a democratic process to replace our current bargaining agent. It appears that after 2 1/2 years of utter failure, Mr. Cleary recognizes that USAPA’s days are in fact numbered. We do not know enough about the International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT) to judge whether this new alliance will be beneficial to the US Airways pilots. What we do know about the IBT, however, is that they are an actual union committed to the labor movement. They probably would not take kindly to a union president who harbors a known union buster or one that leads with a dictatorial style. The Teamsters are about unity, something USAPA is most definitely not.
Our inside sources have confirmed that Mr. Cleary’s new alliance with the IBT arose out of his need to 1) squash a coming ALPA card drive and 2) use their influence to get to a 30 day cooling off period.
He is truly delusional if he believes either of these tactics will be effective.
Just as the Charlotte representatives recently reminded us in their update that we live in America and any one can sue, we would like to remind them that that same freedom applies to a union representational drive. If a grassroots effort initiates a legal card drive to oust USAPA and the majority of US Airways sign cards, there is nothing USAPA or the IBT can do to stop an election. As much as he would like to, Mr. Cleary cannot escape the reality of the democratic world that exists outside his shame organization. A card drive will arise from the strength of the average line pilot, not an imagined dues hungry boogie man. It should be pointed out that USAPA taxes its members more than any other airline union.
As we stated above, Mr. Cleary believes he can capitalize on the political influence of the Teamsters to get to a 30 day cooling off period. This tactic is probably more laughable than his attempt to block a democratic card drive. The west pilots comprise roughly 40% of the combined pilot group. A substantial number of east pilots choose not to be USAPA members or maintain accounts in bad standing. A strike vote by the Union would be an embarrassing event. Most experts agree that a unity vote north of 95% is needed to successfully petition the NMB. USAPA would be lucky if it could garner a simple majority. There is absolutely nothing the IBT can do for Mr. Cleary to fix this math problem.
When your next dues statement arrives or you write your next assessment check for the investigation du jour, contemplate the sheer amount of your money filling Mr. Cleary’s and Mr. Seham’s parched coffers. They are willing to stop at nothing to ensure that their gravy train never stops rolling. What we do know is that there will never be a strike under USAPA and Mr. Cleary cannot stop the true power of democracy.

Are you really this dumb.
#1 Seham is taking you to the cleaners.
#2 Parker asked the courts to clarify, because his lawyers are well aware that the ninth didn't say USAPA can negotiate DOH.
#3 Did you read what the 9th said? If you get a contract with DOH the DFR is ripe.

Why is this so difficult? US Air has 2.8 times as many pilots as AWA. For every 2.8 USAir seniority numbers, insert one AWA seniority number. Round up on the .5's. Everybody keeps their relative seniority and mosat keep their position. Those who were in the top 10% still are and those in the bottom 10% still are, thus preserving everybody's career expectations before the merger happened.

I know all the USAir pilots want their seniority advantage back, but I'm also sure the AWA pilots want their financial advantage back, so compromise.

Last edited:
Why is this so difficult? US Air has 2.8 times as many pilots as AWA. For every 2.8 USAir seniority numbers, insert one AWA seniority number. Round up on the .5's. Everybody keeps their relative seniority and mosat keep their position. Those who were in the top 10% still are and those in the bottom 10% still are, thus preserving everybody's career expectations before the merger happened.

I know all the USAir pilots want their seniority advantage back, but I'm also sure the AWA pilots want their financial advantage back, so compromise.

Because to do as you say would remove the East pilots ability to rebuild their disastrous careers on the backs of innocent pilots of another unrelated airline. Honestly, without the buffoonery of their fake union, how else can over 1000 UNEMPLOYED pilots with less than 3 YEARS service leapfrog over gainfully employed captains at an airline they never worked for? How else can they grab their windfall?

Last edited:

Psst, don't tell anybody, but that's basically the Nic, except for the top AWA guys who are forced to take a little extra screwin'.

Psst, don't tell anybody, but that's basically the Nic, except for the top AWA guys who are forced to take a little extra screwin'.

WHAT IS FAIR ACCORDING TO USAPA?
According to the US AIRLINE PILOTS ASSOCIA­TION (USAPA), a date-of-hire seniority integration that undermines the jobs and career expectations from the former America West Airline pilots is fair. USAPA's date-of-hire seniority list places 83% of former America West Airline Pilots below ALL active former US Airways pilots. As a result, only 11% of the former America West Airline Pilots would hold Captain positions outside of Phoenix. What else does this mean? In the event of a furlough, over 75% of the former America West Airline Pilots, all of which brought active jobs to the merger, would find themselves unemployed before any former US Airways pilot. If a reduction in the pilot workforce exceeded 25%, 93% of the former America West Airlines Captains would be downgraded! This is in stark contrast to the fairness of the relative-seniority integration that was agreed to and awarded by impartial and binding arbitra­tion.

I don't understand why so many westicals seem so surprised that the eastinfections are putting up such a fight. All the "integrity" and "2.8 as many east pilot" arguments may seem to make sense until you put a man with 2 MONTHS of service ahead of a man with 16.4 YEARS of service. Ya I know he was furloughed but he (we) will fight to the death. I'm just sayin...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back