Seniority by Date of Hire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Heyas,

DOH would be a windfall for MANY (I dare say the majority) on the DAL list due to the demographic difference.

You might take a slight hit on day one, but as NWA guys continue to retire (add another 50 gone for September), the relatively younger, senior DAL guys would enjoy direct access to their seats. In 5 years, the DAL guys would OWN most of the former NWA WB left seats.

Most younger/junior NWA guys would get a SLIGHT advantage in % on day one (LOW single digits), but as DAL guys filled in to what were previously NWA retirements, their projected percentages get raped 5, 10 and 15 years down the road.

If you guys could pile off the short bus for a coffee break, you might look down the road a few years.

Nu

Let me see if I have got this. You want to be even further advantaged now, so that you can also be further advantaged for the next 5, 10, 15 years.

Got it. Hmm, stop for coffee or keep trucken on the short bus...:erm:

Heyas,

DOH would be a windfall for MANY (I dare say the majority) on the DAL list due to the demographic difference.

You might take a slight hit on day one, but as NWA guys continue to retire (add another 50 gone for September), the relatively younger, senior DAL guys would enjoy direct access to their seats. In 5 years, the DAL guys would OWN most of the former NWA WB left seats.

Most younger/junior NWA guys would get a SLIGHT advantage in % on day one (LOW single digits), but as DAL guys filled in to what were previously NWA retirements, their projected percentages get raped 5, 10 and 15 years down the road.

If you guys could pile off the short bus for a coffee break, you might look down the road a few years.

Nu
Slight hit? slight gain? Ok nuguy, either you have a different definition of "windfall" or you haven't really looked at the demographics closely. Most senior DAL 1985 hire (sept.) is #211. Most senior NWA sept. 1985 hire is #1350! DAL guy is at 2.8% relative, NWA guy is at 25.9% relative! With your DOH scenario, both guys would be at the same place on the combined list...at about 1561, resulting in a 10% loss for the DAL guy and a 13.5% gain for the NWA guy. Our DAL guy at 2.8% holds significantly better than your 25.9% guy. Going in staight seniority (pilots by category) order, DAL guy holds 767-400ER, NWA guy holds A-320! Under DOH, by straight seniority order on the combined list, DAL guy is demoted to domestic 757/767 (falling through the entire 639 capt. 767ER category) NWA guy is promoted to domestic 757/767. Now, new scenario, DAL guy at 25.9% is #1890 DOH Apr. 1988, and holds in staight seniority order...you guessed it! -737-800! --the same as your 25% guy! Now, age demographics: NWA hired approx. 830 pilots between 1981 and sept. 1985, from #520 to #1350, now say your top 500/our top 210 (1981 and prior) retire---that leaves the entire top 800 slots to NWA (by DOH) with ages that are equal to the most senior DAL guys. Major, major windfall! For you DOH guys...or should I say,-for you guys who would gain disproportionately from DOH: WHY DO YOU THINK YOU DESERVE A WINDFALL BASED ON AIRCRAFT, ROUTE SYSTEMS, BASES, AND PAYRAISES THAT NEITHER YOU, NOR YOUR PILOT GROUP, NOR YOUR COMPANY BROUGHT TO THE MERGER? (namely- the Delta aircraft, route systems, bases, and payraises)...

Lic,

It all depends on what your sen/age is today on wheter doh(btw I think doh is a nonstarter) is a winfall(or is it windfall). A snapshot for me(1995 hire) using 01/08 sen. #s follows:

Date NWA DAL
01/08 59% 55%
01/13 59% 55%
01/18 41% 44%
01/23 16% 21%
01/28 .02% .019%
01/33 .0020% .0009%
01/35 .00019% .00008%

As you can see I don't get back to my present projections until somewhere btw 2018 and 2023. Hardly call doh a winfall/windfall. Doh using different doh's will give you vastly different #s. Anyway the sli will not be solved here. Take care and good luck to us all.

Slight hit? slight gain? Ok nuguy, either you have a different definition of "windfall" or you haven't really looked at the demographics closely. Most senior DAL 1985 hire (sept.) is #211. Most senior NWA sept. 1985 hire is #1350! DAL guy is at 2.8% relative, NWA guy is at 25.9% relative! With your DOH scenario, both guys would be at the same place on the combined list...at about 1561, resulting in a 10% loss for the DAL guy and a 13.5% gain for the NWA guy. Our DAL guy at 2.8% holds significantly better than your 25.9% guy. Going in staight seniority (pilots by category) order, DAL guy holds 767-400ER, NWA guy holds A-320! Under DOH, by straight seniority order on the combined list, DAL guy is demoted to domestic 757/767 (falling through the entire 639 capt. 767ER category) NWA guy is promoted to domestic 757/767. Now, new scenario, DAL guy at 25.9% is #1890 DOH Apr. 1988, and holds in staight seniority order...you guessed it! -737-800! --the same as your 25% guy! Now, age demographics: NWA hired approx. 830 pilots between 1981 and sept. 1985, from #520 to #1350, now say your top 500/our top 210 (1981 and prior) retire---that leaves the entire top 800 slots to NWA (by DOH) with ages that are equal to the most senior DAL guys. Major, major windfall! For you DOH guys...or should I say,-for you guys who would gain disproportionately from DOH: WHY DO YOU THINK YOU DESERVE A WINDFALL BASED ON AIRCRAFT, ROUTE SYSTEMS, BASES, AND PAYRAISES THAT NEITHER YOU, NOR YOUR PILOT GROUP, NOR YOUR COMPANY BROUGHT TO THE MERGER? (namely- the Delta aircraft, route systems, bases, and payraises)...

Lic,

It all depends on what your sen/age is today on wheter doh(btw I think doh is a nonstarter) is a winfall(or is it windfall). A snapshot for me(1995 hire) using 01/08 sen. #s follows:

Date NWA DAL
01/08 59% 55%
01/13 59% 55%
01/18 41% 44%
01/23 16% 21%
01/28 .02% .019%
01/33 .0020% .0009%
01/35 .00019% .00008%

As you can see I don't get back to my present projections until somewhere btw 2018 and 2023. Hardly call doh a winfall/windfall. Doh using different doh's will give you vastly different #s. Anyway the sli will not be solved here. Take care and good luck to us all.
Cobra: Have you looked to see what the DAL guy's projected seniority percentage is under DOH? Between Jan. 1992 and Oct. 1996 DAL hired zero, while NWA hired ~ 700. The first guy hired at DAL in Oct. 1996 is at 50%, the guy hired by NWA in Oct. 1996 is at 70%. Under DOH they would both be at 58%, a loss of 8% for the Dal guy and a gain of 12% for the NWA guy! (these figures are based on 7300 DAL and 5200 NWA pilots) That is an immediate windfall, which, I would imagine, would last for quite a while. In my previous post/scenario, under DOH, after all DAL and NWA pilots hired during or before 1981 have retired, -it would leave approx. 800 NWA pilots solely, occupying the top of the list. I agree DOH is a non-starter, and I do hope we can come as close as possible to a fair list for both groups.

Lic,

I don't know the answer just giving an example of my posistion. Every segment of the sen. list has its own set of unique circumstances. Throw in the varying ages we were hired at and it makes for a tuff job for the negotiators. Lets hope they can come to an agreement that is relativaly fair for all. No gross wind/win falls. Rest assured there will be segments of both lists that take big hits and wind/win falls.

Adios

Cobra: Have you looked to see what the DAL guy's projected seniority percentage is under DOH? Between Jan. 1992 and Oct. 1996 DAL hired zero, while NWA hired ~ 700. The first guy hired at DAL in Oct. 1996 is at 50%, the guy hired by NWA in Oct. 1996 is at 70%. Under DOH they would both be at 58%, a loss of 8% for the Dal guy and a gain of 12% for the NWA guy! (these figures are based on 7300 DAL and 5200 NWA pilots) That is an immediate windfall, which, I would imagine, would last for quite a while. In my previous post/scenario, under DOH, after all DAL and NWA pilots hired during or before 1981 have retired, -it would leave approx. 800 NWA pilots solely, occupying the top of the list. I agree DOH is a non-starter, and I do hope we can come as close as possible to a fair list for both groups.

seniority strictly by DOH will only work if there was a national seniority list. Otherwise, you take away the advantages that pilots gain when they make moves. You can't expect to gain anything by staying still at one company- or to take away another pilot's gain who applied and got hired by a company that has grown faster.

It's a big risk to make a move in the airlines- it's not fair to those pilots who have done that to say that you are more valuable b/c you were unwilling to move.

Therefore, percentage integration is the capitalistic way to solve seniority issues.

Your reward for longevity is your payrate- it should not be seniority also. Two different words are used to explain two very different aspects of our career.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back