• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Senile" rides

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is this a "Safety" or a "Get the heck out of my seat issue"? Did we never have an-in-flight incapacitation prior to the age 65 rule? Was anything done then to reduce the age of a pilot? How about a rule we lower the retirement age to the age of the last pilot whom had the in-flight incapacitation. If he was 58 years old then that will be the new retirement. If the next guy is 48 that becomes the new retirement. That would really be the safest way to do it. Wouldn’t it? Age 60 was forced on the pilots back in 1958. ALPA was still fighting to get it repealed up until about 1970. This rule had nothing to do with safety; it was a deal between two W.W.II USAF Generals, AAL's C.R. Smith and Pete Quesada (sp.?) the first head of the FAA. It was to get rid of high paid pilots at the top of AAL the seniority list. It was done in the name of safety, because who can be against safety. It is like motherhood and patriotism

yip:
We all know what this is about: Upgrades being delayed. But age 60 worked for years, why change it? As for safety, why can't two old-timers fly together?
I just did a trip with a 61 year old: He was very "switched on" and wide awake. It would be a shame to lose someone like that, but if moves me up the list...

all prespective

yip:
We all know what this is about: Upgrades being delayed. But age 60 worked for years, why change it? As for safety, why can't two old-timers fly together?
I just did a trip with a 61 year old: He was very "switched on" and wide awake. It would be a shame to lose someone like that, but if moves me up the list...
How about before 1958, that also worked for years, why go back to 1959 and not 1957

As for safety, why can't two old-timers fly together?

Actually that restriction applies only to international flights. If ICAO changes the rule in the future that restriction will cease to exist.

Sec. 44729. Age standards for pilots

(a) In General- Subject to the limitation in subsection (c), a pilot may serve in multicrew covered operations until attaining 65 years of age.

(b) Covered Operations Defined- In this section, the term `covered operations' means operations under part 121 of title 14, Code of Federal Regulations.

(c) Limitation for International Flights-

(1) APPLICABILITY OF ICAO STANDARD- A pilot who has attained 60 years of age may serve as pilot-in-command in covered operations between the United States and another country only if there is another pilot in the flight deck crew who has not yet attained 60 years of age.

(2) SUNSET OF LIMITATION- Paragraph (1) shall cease to be effective on such date as the Convention on International Civil Aviation provides that a pilot who has attained 60 years of age may serve as pilot-in-command in international commercial operations without regard to whether there is another pilot in the flight deck crew who has not attained age 60.

Actually that restriction applies only to international flights.

No foolin?

Senile is the way to go

Have any one heard of this. I was told it was part of the deal to change the retirement age. Once a year after 60 you have to take a special eval ride or test. I heard UAL is doing it and guys are starting to fail. Any one else hear this or was I getting my yanky yanked?

The fact I'm still in this industry is a testiment to my early onset of senility; but live has never been better.

When the first words out of a guys mouth are "I'm a check airman" run the other way. Get over yourself.

Well you have a good point. I didn't even think of "Being a check airman" in the context of what you are saying until you mentioned it. I just mentioned Pro Stans and the training because it means I have had a lot of exposure with the way crews interact.

Senior first Officers should give the "Senile" checkride to their favorite Captains! First Officers would be fair and impartial of course compared to another over 60 check-airman.

Latest resources

Back