• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Senile" rides

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And I many a younger guy. I have doing line checks IOE and sims for most of my time . I just flew with 62 year old new to the 747-4 that was one of the sharpest guys I've ever flew with. Most of the guys my age that complain are just looking out for their own wallets, their complains have zero to do with older guys ability.In fact as they complain many are making the same or similar mistakes. Get used to it, at the airlines with no pension going to 65 will become the norm. As for me who knows what I'll do in 8 years but I had always planned on working past 60 and this just gives me the option as it will for lots of others.

Very well said. From my experience as a check airman and dealing with Professional Standards cases I would say these guys complaining about flying with "old guys" are themselve probably the weak link in the cockpit.
I've seen sharp pilots from all age and background demographics. Any breakdown in cockpit professionalism is almost always a result of both Captain AND F/O being at fault. It's a team and it takes two to let weak behavior become a problem. If one guy is making a mistake, the other can either rise to the occasion and not let the minor problem become a big one or he can be a butthead and make the situation worse than it has to be.
One thing for sure, if a guy is having multiple problems with fellow crewmembers, he needs to look in the mirror to find the source of his problems, not at someones birth certificate.

Very well said. From my experience as a check airman and dealing with Professional Standards cases I would say these guys complaining about flying with "old guys" are themselve probably the weak link in the cockpit.
I've seen sharp pilots from all age and background demographics. Any breakdown in cockpit professionalism is almost always a result of both Captain AND F/O being at fault. It's a team and it takes two to let weak behavior become a problem. If one guy is making a mistake, the other can either rise to the occasion and not let the minor problem become a big one or he can be a butthead and make the situation worse than it has to be.
One thing for sure, if a guy is having multiple problems with fellow crewmembers, he needs to look in the mirror to find the source of his problems, not at someones birth certificate.

Very good post, I fly with over 60 guys often out here and I find them to be as proficient airmen as the next guy.

I've heard that the FAA is instituting a cognative test for over 60'ers. It's going to be a memory based test that will be part of your FAA first class medical.

Would that include flight instruction, charter flying, corporate flying, crop dusting or test flying?

OR would that just be for Part 121 Pilots? If it is...I see legal folks getting involved...

...Or...could this just be wishful thinking on your part? In the age 65 discussions, I can recall the Federal Air Surgeon saying that the medical standards would not change.

Is this really a problem, or is it only a problem on FlightInfo.com ?

I do it every other week to Asia. I am getting tired of the baby sitting.

It has gotten to the point of needing to fill-out an FSAP report after each leg.

You need to "Man-up" and go in to the Chiefs office and tell them what you just posted. You are tired of the "babysitting". Have names, dates, times and details of incidents. All that stuff helps your case.

Also have copies of all the FSAP(?) reports that you are filling out on each leg.

Let us know how it goes. When do you fly again? Let us know so we can look forward to your post on how this was handled.

Is this really a problem, or is it only a problem on FlightInfo.com ?

As I have said before, this is only an issue because of the current state of the industry and If the airlines would be hiring 80+ like prior to 9/11 you wouldn't hear a peep from anyone. When you hear "I'd love to see a study done on a group of 64 year olds " it only means "I'm frustrated with my upgrade being pushed a few more years" The so called concern with the flying public safety is hypocrisy at it's best

Controlled rest on the flight deck means that you are alert from TOD to shutdown. So why not take 30 mins during cruise if it helps? I'm sure the FAA, and Randy, know it's the right thing to do.
I snooze at some point on almost every flight.

Let the age 60 guys stay. I just flew with a 62 year old and he was one of the best pilots I've flown with in a long time. Stop with the age discrimination already. . .

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125504526670974763.html

Amazing you could even think like that. You are throwing stones at an older generation, yet you have just demonstrated remarkable pettiness and immaturity.
Uh, no where did I say "you older generation" or anything age related? Dan "old guy" Roman, go read it again with your glasses on. What I said was take the pictures of the folks sleeping, no mention of age anywhere in my post. I to have flown with some sharp 59 year olds, and some sleeping 59 year olds. Lighten up Francis.

Well stated

Latest resources

Back