Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

diggertwo

http://www.pilotbug.com/?p=1735

WASHINGTON, D.C.–In a letter to FAA Administrator Randolph (Randy) Babbitt, Chairman of the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, John D. (Jay) Rockefeller IV (D-WV), Ranking Member Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX), Chairman of the Aviation Operations, Safety and Security Subcommittee Byron Dorgan (D-ND), and Ranking Member of the Aviation Operations, Safety and Security Subcommittee Jim DeMint (R-SC) joined together along with Senators Snowe, Kerry, Klobuchar, Lautenberg, Thune, Begich, and Johanns and wrote that the issue of pilot fatigue must be addressed.
Today, FAA Administrator Babbitt testified before the Aviation Operations, Safety and Security Subcommittee today at a hearing on Aviation Safety: Oversight of FAA Safety Initiatives.

The letter sent reads:

Dear Administrator Babbitt,

Aviation safety is the top priority for the Aviation Subcommittee, and we know this view is shared by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). We look forward to your upcoming testimony at our hearing on FAA’s safety initiatives.

One of the topics we plan to address at the hearing is pilot fatigue. The subcommittee recently held a hearing to examine this issue, which has been on the National Transportation Safety Board’s (NTSB) Most Wanted List for 19 years. The current FAA guidelines on flight time and duty limitations were set back in the 1940s. It is critical that the FAA revise these rules as quickly as possible.

Although we appreciate the commitment you made in August to update these regulations, it was troubling to learn from the FAA at the hearing last week that the time frame for completing this process has already been delayed. We expect the FAA to consider this issue a priority and to keep on a timeline that will update the regulations without more delay.

We look forward to discussing this and other important safety concerns at the hearing.

I wonder what the average airline day was back in the 1940's? I bet all the airplanes and cockpits were made of metal and wood.

Jer

The good ole days

I wonder what the average airline day was back in the 1940's? I bet all the airplanes and cockpits were made of metal and wood.

Jer
Read Gann, Faith is the Hunter, Buck North Star over my Shoulder. They had it a lot worse than today.

They complained just as much, they just didn't have the ability to share their bitches with the world via the interwebs...

I bet they worked harder and complained less back then. No autopilot, no gps, no radar. . .

Yeah, but they weren't hauling around 150-200 passengers and there were A LOT more accidents. Also, I don't think the FAA was ALL over those guys like they are today. You guys are comparing Apples and Oranges.

I bet they had a few less stress issues being able to pay for stuff!!! Oh and that Pension thing too would have been nice to have!

Ok-
I'm sure you'll have some spin- but I'll be the first to say it-

this wouldn't be an issue getting addressed under a republican senate.

Latest resources

Back