• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Senate, House Agree to Sixfold Boost in Airline Pilots' Flight Experience

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Although, this has already been stated time and again...The real issue at-hand with regional airline pilots isn't the experience level or training. It's quality of life, pay, benefits, etc...
I believe you are confusing the primary problem with the regional airline industry with your primary problem with the regional airline industry. From your perspective the compensation is your biggest problem, but from a passenger's perspective the experience and maturity of the guys up front is paramount. Are the two related? Probably. But there are plenty of industries that prove that poorly compensated individuals can be the best in the world at what they do, if they just have the right attitude. Think police, military, graduate research students, etc. I agree with livin'thesim's understanding that attitude is far more important than any compensation could ever be. (Not that I don't want a bigger paycheck!) Overall, even though there will be unintended consequences to this bill, I think it is appropriate and will overall be helpful.

By the way, hats off to all the intelligent, well-articulated posts here. Am I still on FI, or did we accidentally get sent to some other website?

So, if you were paid more, you'd be more safe?

It's a fair question although if you aren't safe you shouldn't fly.

But keep in mind, there are a lot of highly paid pilots with not such great schedules who commute. If you were given a huge raise would you move to EWR, IAD, ORD etc...? To me, the more I earn, the more likely I'm going to live where I want. The bottom line for the regionals is do you want to bid for a career or a lifestyle? Because most in cases, you can't have both.

I think you're missing the point.

When wages and benefits are high, the career attracts a higher caliber of applicant. Employers can afford to reject a higher percentage of applicants and cherry-pick the best ones.

The industry competes with other industries with similar compensation & lifestyles for applicants-- a career that pays six figures will attract entrants who have the skill set and aptitude to earn six figures in other disciplines, but a career that pays in the low five figures will attract entrants who have the skill set and aptitude to earn low five figures in other disciplines.

I think you're missing the point.

When wages and benefits are high, the career attracts a higher caliber of applicant. Employers can afford to reject a higher percentage of applicants and cherry-pick the best ones.

The industry competes with other industries with similar compensation & lifestyles for applicants-- a career that pays six figures will attract entrants who have the skill set and aptitude to earn six figures in other disciplines, but a career that pays in the low five figures will attract entrants who have the skill set and aptitude to earn low five figures in other disciplines.

If what you're saying is true then airplanes should be falling out of the sky right now.

It's called supply and demand, the only way pay will go up is if there's high demand and little supply. The good news is that supply will dwindle in the future if compensation levels stay the same.

I was just thinking the same thing. Obviously being paid more, having a better quality of life, better schedules, slicker hair, and pants pulled down to your butt yet hemmed appropriately make you a better and safer pilot. As long as you have $100K to fork out for that DC-9 type rating at CAPT or FSI, that's ALL that matters.

Simple answer: YES. Commuting to a base you can't afford to live in or working 2 jobs takes a toll!

Then find a local job so you won't have to commute. Either that, or quit whining. Commuting is ALWAYS an option, not a necessity. If you do commute, then commute with a brain. IOW, leave the day prior to your reserve or trip period, as to get enough sleep the night prior to your trip or reserve period. Red-eyeing in has to be one of the most irresponsible things I have ever heard of, especially with a 7am duty in time.

I would also be very vocal with my union reps if allow new hires to receive huge raises or bonuses with out more senior pilots getting theirs. [/QUOTE]

This my friend is why this industry sucks..You can't have yours unless I get mine.

What about the guys that had to PFT to get on in the late 90's-00's. Should the old guys get their training money back? Different times, different market.[/QUOTE]

Collective bargaining means that management can't just selectively bump pay for one group. The CBA has to be amended if they want to hand out bonuses or otherwise increase compensation. If management believes the compensation is too low, then it is too low for everyone. Do you really believe that a first year FO should make more than a third year FO?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back