• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

sen tom daschle's air force experience?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was going to point out that the President did, in fact, serve in the Texas ANG. I dunno about the Vietnam request thingee though. He's had some pretty big shoes to fill all his life so it's possible that he wanted a combat assignment. As we all know, Bush SR was a bomber pilot in WWII and had his airplane shot out from under him. I served under Bush senior's watch (and Dick Cheney's oddly enough, he was Sec'y of Defense) and have a tremendous amount of respect for him, even if I disagree with his son.

Another bit of trivia ... a local 135 op near me often flies the Senior Bushes and one of their pilots says Sr. is a really laid back, regular kinda guy and he'll often talk flying with the hired help. Kewl!

Minh

(I still think Bush Jr. is off on a tangent :D)

Really amazing how so many conservatives seem to have this idea that a "liberals" military service is not as meaningful as that of a "conservative" or in other words a Republican's service.

Seems disrespectful to rip on someone's service regardless of whether you served or not.

These are the posts I refer to that give the impression that if you didn't serve or you're not a republican, then you don't deserve an opinion in military matters. Kind of seems un-American to me.

Tom Daschle's weaselly remarks the other day were unfathomable. I always knew he was a politician in the worse sense of the word, but evidently he's an PR idiot as well to make such inflamatory (and untrue) acusations on the brink of war. I'll bet his staffers were having heart attacks as he was shooting off his mouth on national TV. I'd recommend that everyone send him an email and let him know what you think.

daschle.senate.gov/webform.html

You can contact your own senator through:

www.senate.gov

BTW, his wife Linda is a Lobbyist for the Airline Transport Association . . . . the special interest group that lobbys Congress on behalf of airline management and the same group that want to remove the rights of workers to legally strike. Conflict of interest, you say??? Well, duh, I guess so . . . . but the reason the Republicans don't complain is that they're just as slimy as the Democrats are.

I used to be a Republican, but resigned and now have no party affiliation. Nobody in Congress gives half a crap about working people. The Democrats and Republicans are equally corrupt.

I used to be a Republican, but resigned and now have no party affiliation. Nobody in Congress gives half a crap about working people. The Democrats and Republicans are equally corrupt.

Dead on, Drag'n!

I think a few people start out with the best of intentions but are soon corrupted by the PACS and special interest folks. You know ... the $1000 per plate luncheons, the free trips on company jets, speaking engagements at $5000 a pop set up by special interest groups, etc. They stop working for the people and begin working for themselves by making deals on legislation with other representatives, changing horses in the middle of the stream to meet PAC commitments, and on and on. It's a disgusting business. I often wonder if the fact that most politicians start out as lawyers has anything to do with it. I've met few attorneys that I really trusted over the years. There has to be a better way.

I've always kind of thought that if legislators were not paid a salary, were not allowed to take gifts or honorariums of ANY kind, and instead had their housing, food and transportation taken care of that we'd get better/true representation. You know ... maybe we'd get the people who truly wanted to SERVE instead of just line their own pockets and make backroom deals with industry.

Afterall ... it's called PUBLIC SERVICE. :mad:

Minh

From Draginass:

"I used to be a Republican, but resigned and now have no party affiliation. Nobody in Congress gives half a crap about working people. The Democrats and Republicans are equally corrupt."

Yep. Stating the obvious we are lacking honorable men/women in positions of leadership. Whether it be politics or business. Wish it weren't so but their actions continue to disappoint to say the least. Don't think today's society has the desire to demand accountability and integrity from their leadership. We're more interested in if Ben and J'Lo are going to stay together, what the winning lotto number is, or if the Lakers can make a run at the playoffs. Thank goodness most the of the pilot population is still engaged :rolleyes:

SDF2BUF2MCO said:
Don't think today's society has the desire to demand accountability and integrity from their leadership. We're more interested in if Ben and J'Lo are going to stay together, what the winning lotto number is, or if the Lakers can make a run at the playoffs. :rolleyes:

I think one of the reasons is that big business doesn't want to shine the spotlight on themselves, or on politicians that favor them. When I say big business, I mean:

ABC - Disney
NBC - General Electric
CBS - Westinghouse
CNN - AOL/Time-Warner
FOX - News Corporation (Australian Media Co.)

I wonder what the lead stories would be like if UAL owned a network. Probably overpaid pilots, lack of government support, pro foreign ownership stories, etc.

The idea that any of those networks are unbiased, is I believe a mistaken one. They know who signs their checks and what those people want to hear. Stories on JLo or Elizabeth Smart occupy the public and keep them from asking the hard questions.

You are not a deserter or AWOL by not showing up to weekend drill. A National Guard member or Reservist is subjet to the UCMJ only while on drill status or active duty.

Latest resources

Back