• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Selling rides...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've never actually wanted to be until now. I'm doing all 91 stuff these days, so I'm unfortunately not in a program any longer.

If you are already in an FAA approved screening program, you don't have to have a dedicated program for the sightseeing operation. Just as long as you are in a program, that meets the requirement.

You got a reference for that?

Not that I have any reason to believe it's not true, and it certainly does make sense and all, but It would be just like the FAA to say, "well that program doesn't count, you have to have a seperate drug screening program for your operation"

135.251 does not specify that you must be on a specific screening program, just an approved program.

this is from 135.2
(5) Nonstop sightseeing flights for compensation or hire that begin and end at the same airport, and are conducted within a 25 statute mile radius of that airport; however, except for operations subject to SFAR 50–2, these operations, when conducted for compensation or hire, must comply only with §§135.249, 135.251, 135.253, 135.255, and 135.353.

When I did some moonlighting on a 135 aircraft, my 121 program was sufficient for the local FSDO.

New Rule

There is a new requirement for those who are operating under 119.1(e)(2), which is the reg regarding the within 25 statute mile sightseeing flight.

91.147 (the new reg) requires that after September 11, 2007 you receive a Letter of Authorization from the FSDO serving the area where the operation will take place. To get the LOA you have to spell out some the details of your operation, and you must register a Drug/Alcohol Testing program IAW 121 Appendix I and J. You must also comply with the requirements of Part 136 Subpart A and B.

Fun fact for 135 operators: If you have OpSpec A446 for sightseeing flights, you'll need to be reissued a new OpSpec A046 to match the new requirements.

--Flyboy

Perhaps, you're right. I believe that I was incorrectly remembering a caveat that flight schools use regarding 100 hour inspections, and renting, and checkrides, etc. I'm not much of a reg. quoting monkey, as you can clearly see.
Kind hard to interpret around something you haven't read, isn't it?

You're probably confusing what you've heard about rentals. Pure rentals don't require 100 inspections because the words of the reg only cover aircraft provided for paid flight instruction and aircraft that carry paying passengers.

Yes, it is. I've been preoccupied for all these years with flying related things other than flight instructing. It happens when you grow up.

I was wrong. Let's move on.

Yes, it is. I've been preoccupied for all these years with flying related things other than flight instructing. It happens when you grow up.

I was wrong. Let's move on.

Well, I'm probably wasting my time here, but it won't be the first time I've tilted at windmills so here goes:

It seems as if you are somehow surprised and irritated that you're getting a little needling. Do you suppose it had to do with calling Midlife a "reg quoting monkey"? Really, think about it here, you posted a question asking about some regulatory issues, and after one of your misconceptions was corrected, rather mildly, you proceeded to insult the people who were helping you out with your question.

Frankly, that doesn't seem all that "grown up" to me.

You are also right.
What happened to being able to admit that you're wrong and moving on?

The only questions that remain involve a screening program. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how to establish one.

Thanks, Flyboy!!

Latest resources

Back