Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

svcta

"Kids these days"-AAflyer
Okay, so we've decided that it might be fun and profitable to sell a few rides from time to time in some of the airplanes that we've got sitting around the hangar. The 2 that we've got now(and any other that will come and go) are normal type-cert., so there's no experimental to worry about. Here's the question for you reg. experts: What are the legal ramifications of selling rides in airplanes? The insurance is sorted out so I mean what's involved from an FAR standpoint(if anything)?

Scenario in a nutshell:

ATP rated guys selling rides in vintage airplanes.

I'll dive in to the books when I get home from this trip, but all opinions are welcome. Thanks!

I don't know where the reg is, but I've heard that "sight-seeing" flights must have the drug testing requiremets of 135/121 flights.

I don't know where the reg is, but I've heard that "sight-seeing" flights must have the drug testing requiremets of 135/121 flights.

That's correct.

Also no more than 25 nm from departure airport and no landings anywhere other than departure airport.

I think you may have to have to have 100 hr. inspections also, but I'm not sure of that.

I could interpret out the 100hr. requirement. I'll have to look in to the drug testing. How would that be accomplished since everything I know about 121/135 drug testing is that it's supposed to be done at random? Seems like it would give someone a few weeks to get clean if they knew they were gonna have to go get tested.

How would that be accomplished since everything I know about 121/135 drug testing is that it's supposed to be done at random? Seems like it would give someone a few weeks to get clean if they knew they were gonna have to go get tested.

As I understand it, a single operator signs up for a service that will schedule random drug tests for him/her. May be someone actually doing this can shed some light.

I could interpret out the 100hr. requirement.
I'm curious how you'd interpret a flight that people pay to go on as one that is not "carrying any person (other than a crewmember) for hire."

The consensus has it right

• 100 hour inspections 91.409(b)
  • 25 statute mile limitation and no landings other than where you started 119.1(e)(2).
  • drug/alcohol testing program 135.1(a)(5) and the rules referenced in that one

Perhaps, you're right. I believe that I was incorrectly remembering a caveat that flight schools use regarding 100 hour inspections, and renting, and checkrides, etc. I'm not much of a reg. quoting monkey, as you can clearly see.

Thanks so far, can anyone shed some light on the service for drug testing mentioned above?

Last edited:
If you are already in an FAA approved screening program, you don't have to have a dedicated program for the sightseeing operation. Just as long as you are in a program, that meets the requirement.

Latest resources

Back